Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #1 
Purple

Female Getting Thicker?

My female, Sally, has been getting thicker over the last few days. I accidentally overfed her with flakes the other day (like, 1/2 of the flakes fell out... from now on, I'm pinching the food over the floor, not the tank :l) and got really bloated from that, and as her bloat went down her bottom half (not her stomach) has been getting bigger and kind of darker. Is she getting fat? Should I limit her food? She's pretty young (she was teeny tiny when I got her and super pale, grew a big after my boyfriend bought her and fed her 10 pellets a day, ugh, but hasn't grown much since I've had her) so is she just growing? She's not acting ill, and she's very, VERY active as usual. I don't know for sure that the food is what made her get thicker, but it did happen a few days after so it might be connected. I feed her frozen brine shrimp in the morning and some flakes (a teeny tiny pinch) or 2 pellets (Aqua Culture) at night before bed. Her diet is about 75% shrimp, 25% flakes/pellets. The first picture is the night I got her (not very good), the second is the night I brought her to my house, and the third/fourth picture is as of 2 minutes ago. She just had breakfast, so she's a wee bit bloated. You can see a thinner area near her anal fin that kind of gives her belly/side an outline.

Edit/Note: I realized she looks like a chubster in the first pic... She was actually VERY skinny. Her whole body (other than her belly, which poked out just a teeny tiny bit) pretty much disappeared when you looked at her from above. She was just turned in the pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Purple; 07-08-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #2 
lvandert

She looks eggy to me. Give her a few days to see if she'll pass them or re absorb them.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #3 
Purple

What does that come from?

I recently got a new male who she can see during water changes (I do it all at once and put the cups pretty close together since there has never been a single sign of aggression, and it's easier for me rather than finding 4 quiet areas around the house to put them :P) and he's been trying to flirt with her, but she usually ignores him. She's used to my other two males, but they're old and don't pay any attention to her. I keep a vase between them now because I didn't want him to annoy her too much. This only happened I think twice. Could that be it?

Last edited by Purple; 07-08-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #4 
lvandert

yup thats all it takes. All it takes is a glimpse of something that resembles a male. I wouldn't recommend putting them that close together again though. From the sounds of it she doesn't handle being eggy well and it could one day result in a burst. Most of my girls aren't within sight of other males unless breeding, but they still mistake the other girls for a male sometimes lol.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #5 
Purple

Oh dear! Will do!!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #6 
lvandert

There haven't been many but I've definitely heard of a few on here. I think some are being reported as an over feeding bloat though. I mean come on they look the same lol.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #7 
Purple

I just think that it's odd that her WHOLE BODY is getting bigger. One of my boys gets bloated every time you look at him funny and his whole body has never gotten bigger. Most eggy girls I've seen it's the bottom of their tummy, not side (bloat) or whole body.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 
lvandert

Fish's egg sacs run the length of the body, bettas are relatively short boddied. If you've ever fillet fish or seen someone do it the egg sacs almost run the length of the organ cavity.