Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #1 
DoubleCrown

Breeding a Double fin with a Crownfin

Me and my girlfriend went to pet co today and bought a Blue Female Crownfin and a Red/Blue Male Double Fin. when we got home and researched about bettas we saw that our female is ready to breed. so we looked up more information on breeding and got what we needed for it. and now i have a few questions.

1. will these 2 breed ok? and what will the baby species be known as?
2. how long will it take for the male to start making his bubble nest? (him and the female are in separate parts of the same tank with a clear divider and the female is ready to breed)
DoubleCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #2 
Purple

Only if you can answer these questions will someone help you. Breeding is not something to be taken lightly. (I'm not saying answer them on here, just read through them.)

Also read this cost counter and this stock guide,

Please read what to consider and more to consider before breeding.

Keep in mind that it takes the same amount of time, effort, money, and sleepless nights to breed quality fish as "pet" fish.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to help you. Please don't be offended.

Last edited by Purple; 07-07-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

Hello and welcome to the forum.

First I have to say that this is completely wrong of which the way you're going about this. You cannot just go to a pet store and buy a pair of fish do a nights work of research and conclude that you're ready for it. Breeding is a huge responsibility and I'm sure you've heard this many times.

Hopefully you do MORE research and take my advise before breeding bettas. Double fin is not a correct term and niether is crown fin. It's DoubleTail and CrownTail. And the acronyms for those are DT and CT. Extremely basic betta info.

Anyway even though I will sort of school you on this, I'll answer your questions.

1) Yes. Any pair will breed. This doesn't mean any pair will have appealing fry (hopefully you know this is a term used for baby fish). Breeding a DT(DoubleTail) to a CT(Crowntail) will result in extremely messy fins as well as no doubletails in F1(first spawn). When I say messy fins, I really do mean messy fins with probably many deformities considering the DT gene carries deformities as it is. You will have some Combtails which are basically crowntails with extremely short ray extension. You will, also have CTs with longer ray extension, but bad finnage. And the overall form Is just not going I be very appealing, thus causing you to have all of these undesirable fry with no one wanting them. To be honest, no one in their right mind would by CTxDT fry. For pets yes, but even then people would go to their own pet stores to buy even better looking bettas than go through shipping and such.

2) The male doesn't have to build a bubblenest. Some males we're recorded to build the nest while spawning. Usually the male will make his nest after a day or so after seeing the female.

My advise to you is to keep them separate. Love and spoil them to the end of the world. Trust me, breeding them will only result in bad fins and fry with no homes. Even when giving them away, you really have a limited range of people willing to take them.

Breeding pet store fish will result in pet store fish and as I've said before no one will be willing to buy them. Trust me on this, I've tried it and it was not good. If you guys really want to breed, reasearch a lot more! IMO, you need it, just from you asking the simple question of "how long will it take for the male to start making his bubblenest?" shows me that you are not ready and didn't research enough to be ready to breed bettas. That is a question that is answered if researched correctly.

And the 'species' is betta splendens. You mean to say "what will the baby tail type be known as?" Tail types are much more different than the species.

When you know you're ready to breed, you can definitely answer these questions with a definite YES.

Do you have all the necessary equiptment to breed bettas?
Some including...
-At least 5 heaters(for just one spawn)
-Grow our tanks
-50-100 jars for separating the males and some aggressive females
Ect..

Do you have the space? Breeding bettas requires much space for grow out tanks and jars.

Do you have the time to breed bettas?

Do you have LIVE FOODS FOR THE FRY? Fry Need live foods to eat when they are about a week old and if they don't they will most likely die. Buying live foods like microworms, vinegar eels, bbs( baby brine shrimp) ect will help them to build their immune system and most importantly, GROW.

Do you have the money? Money plays a hug part in breeding and breeding bettas can drain your wallet if you don't know what your doing. Patience is key.

Do you have a quality pair? Breeding pet store quality is not suggested and not because the fish are bad to breed, but because pet store breeders will result in having too many fry with no homes. If you don't get a quality pair, you're looking at fish will no homes and an unsuccessful spawn. You'd also be putting more work on yourself than you should be starting on with. Buying a quality pair WILL be much more beneficial. From finances to seeing them go to nice homes. The finances are really to support the hobby in most cases.

Buying a really nice breeding quality pair will have fry that are very desirable and will sell. No breeder in their right mind will buy pet store fry from any breeder.

I'm not going to try to discourage you. This is just so you are aware of the requirements and needs if these fish. Especially when breeding.

I know you are doing this with the best intentions, but it really isn't the way to go. It takes the same money, effort, and time to breed pet store fish as it does to breed breeding quality fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCrown View Post
Me and my girlfriend went to pet co today and bought a Blue Female Crownfin and a Red/Blue Male Double Fin. when we got home and researched about bettas we saw that our female is ready to breed. so we looked up more information on breeding and got what we needed for it. and now i have a few questions.

1. will these 2 breed ok? and what will the baby species be known as?
2. how long will it take for the male to start making his bubble nest? (him and the female are in separate parts of the same tank with a clear divider and the female is ready to breed)

Last edited by bettalover2033; 07-07-2012 at 06:09 AM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #4 
Purple

Also, a few questions I have...

1. How long have you had these fish?
2. Could you please put up pictures of the fishes? The picture should be clear, the fish should be flaring, and it should be of the side of the fish.
3. Have you had any experience before?
4. What do you plan to do with the potentially 1,000 fry that you will have?

Last edited by Purple; 07-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #5 
Fabian

These pair will not produce your desired fin type.Even breeding a ct to a ct will have messy tails.
You need to learn from this forum first,it helped me a lot.
I suggest you try and keep them as pets for a while first.You are not prepared as you think you are.
My first spawn was a mess even tough i have all i need to raise bettas.Even my 2-5 spawns are a failure.
Lastly,there is no such a thing as a new species when you breed these pair,it's just the fin,not the species.
(Sorry if iv'e been mean)
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #6 
Laki

I agree. Don't jump into breeding yet! A lot of people think they know what they're doing, especially if eggs are laid successfully. But as stated above, it's not to be taken lightly. Just because she appears to be ready to breed, doesn't mean she needs to be. People who don't spay their cats have cats who are"ready to breed" but kittens are hard to place into good homes, much like fish. There are less people interested in bettas than there are in kittens!
Good luck on your 2 new pet bettas though! I'd love to see pics. Also, don't forget to house them separately.!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #7 
DoubleCrown

iv read a bunch and seems like most people r overreacting, im not breeding them right away, i was asking questions for when i am wanting to breed them and people got offending thinking that i was going to breed them with no knowledge, i joined this forum to get knowledge b4 i breed them. then at that any1 who did answer questions answered them like im a retard.

you all say learn more b4 u breed, well one needs to ask questions to learn.

as far as people being offended of the "thought" that i was going to breed with no knowledge. i was asking how those 2 would breed not because i wanted to know if it would work, because i had already known this by talking to the guy at Pet Co who sold me them who has bred Betta for 15 years. i was asking this to see what people thought of it because searching online i couldn't find many results for a DT CT mix. so i was simply wanting to see if this was a healthy breed or not and i see now its not.

the qustion i ask now is b4 you people on the forums (experts especialy) over read a forum and get offended that they get what the person asking the question is really asking. my post may have been veg and ruthless, and this is from researching from 5pm when i got the Betta until 2 in the morning when i decided to ask some questions that i had not already had answered.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #8 
DoubleCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Also, a few questions I have...

1. How long have you had these fish?
2. Could you please put up pictures of the fishes? The picture should be clear, the fish should be flaring, and it should be of the side of the fish.
3. Have you had any experience before?
4. What do you plan to do with the potentially 1,000 fry that you will have?
1. these fish iv had a day but my girlfriend has bred Bettas with her mom about 4 times (as well, the man at petco who we bought them from who is a breeder of 15 years, i also bought his personal Betta that he bred himself)
2. i can get pics yes later in the say, as i said before it was 2 am when i posted that and i had been on the internet researching sense 5pm
3. my girlfriend has bred Betta 4 times and (not that its relivent) she has also bred many horses, a litter of bordercollies, and a few litters of poodles. (all of the dogs bred by her were registered showdogs)
4. we know a guy in Portland who will buy the fry
Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #9 
Purple

Your girlfriend has showdogs? My mother used to show Japanese Akitas.

She may understand this, but it's harder for someone to wrap their mind around this if they haven't had experience with show standards. Your fish are like stray mutts that you found on the side of a road in a ditch somewhere. Pet stores don't take very good care of their fish, so yes, a ditch. They have no kind of breed history, so they're mixed up but they kind of resemble a certain breeder, but don't match the qualifications to ever even be within 10 miles of a IBC (International Betta Congress, which is like the American Kennel Club but bigger) convention. Let's say you breed these two "mutts" and you have some "puppies"... But you have 1,000 pretty much useless "puppies". Yes, it sounds harsh, but there is almost no need for any more "pet" bettas. Nobody wants them. There is already too many homeless "mutts" in the world already. You're just creating more mouths to feed, and no more breeding stock.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Bettas....

As you can tell...we have a lot of members that have a great deal of passion for this species.....

My views differ somewhat and not because I don't have a great deal of passion for this species and for the hobby itself...But because I view keeping and breeding as something that anyone that has the interest in can do and should be encouraged to do.....

With that said, I also feel that it is important to research and ask question...as you are doing.....Everyone has to start someplace....

Lots of different ways to successfully keep, spawn and rear Bettas....Sometimes you have to go through a bit of trial and error....

What I would recommend for you-read everything you can find on-general keeping this species, different spawning methods, behaviors, water chemistry, live plants, nutrition and culturing live foods for fry food...Lot of great information on this site...read through the spawn logs to see both the success and failures....

Have a plan, gather supplies and talk with your local Ma & Pa pet shops for possible placement of offspring, check out craigslist, looks to see if you have a local aquarium club that you can join-this is a great resource for-information, supplies and placement of the offspring.

If your plan is to just experiment to see if you can successfully spawn the two that you have....IMO...I say go for it-once you have done your research, have your needed supplies and know what you are going to do with the offspring.

Re-homing the offspring is often the hardest part-even with the CTxDT cross which isn't a bad looking fish IMO/E.....You will get combtails and maybe even some combtail/doubletails and if you breed them back to each other and/or back to mother/father....you can creates some pretty nice Bettas...it just can take longer...But if you are willing, have the time and money...etc......go for it.....mystery genetic can be a lot of fun too.....you never know what you will get.....

Cost-this too can vary....you can spend a lot or a little.....you have many different options here too IMO/E.....

Time is the biggest investment and it can be hard to cut corners here....

Have fun, be responsible, have a plan....

Look forward to pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote