Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 
DoubleCrown

The pic of my male didn't turn out good, the green at the bottom of his fins is actually a relay pretty blue

Last edited by DoubleCrown; 07-07-2012 at 01:47 PM.
DoubleCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #12 
Curlyfatbottom

Is that the fish u bought at pet co or from the breeder
If u want a ctdt
Breed a Ct to a Dt
Then when u have your f1 inbreed them
You should get some ctdt in your f2
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

He got them from a Pet Store.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #14 
DoubleCrown

theyre from the breeder, i took the pics from my phone so the collor is all screwed up =[
Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

I'm confused... I thought they were from PetCo? That's what you said in the 1st page.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #16 
DoubleCrown

again, i wrote that at 2am lol, i bought it from a guy who works at petco, and breeds his own..
Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Ohh..... Sorry, so he breeds his own...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #18 
Curlyfatbottom

That's a mess up breeder
Letting u pick those two to breed
Color is way off plus the male lobe is not even
Very sloppy fin
Your f1 going to be very hard to rehome n sloppy
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #19 
Enkil

Welcome to the forum.

I will give you my opinions and let you do with them as you will. ^_^

- I do not like the male. I have a HM double tail that I absolutely adore. When you pick out one of these you should look for even lobes (tails). His dorsal and anal fins look a bit tattered too.
- Love the female's color. I like blues with the nice dark head. However, without a better pic of her I can't give my opinion on her fins. In the pic, she has stress stripes. Was it from the flash?
- Personally, I wouldn't breed the male for reasons stated in my first point here.
- If you really want to do this pair, do so responsibly. Since you said that you have someone here in Portland (I live in Portland, OR as well) who would buy the fry, it really just comes down to what you want to do. I personally wouldn't.

As far as bubble nests are concerned...
My HM double tail didn't build one when I had him in my spawning tank. I had to remove him though as my female is very aggressive and quickly decided he was not right for her.
My HMPK (halfmoon plakat) male, on the other hand, began building as soon as he was put in the spawning tank and saw my female. With him, she was very docile.

Be prepared for everything. The courting process can be violent. You have to know when you should step in and when it is fine to leave them be.
Make sure to have a variety of foods for both your adults and the fry. Also be sure to have medications for things such as ich. I keep aquarium salt and epsom salt on hand at all times. I would also recommend having live/frozen daphnia in the even any of your fish become constipated as this acts as a sort of natural laxative.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #20 
Anitax3x

Hi and welcome!

Personally, If you want to work on a line of combtails/CTDT I would Go for it, However The only problem I have is with your male. His color and fins are kind of all over the place. I would find a better male, possibly a blue or maybe a green DT that is more balanced and has cleaner cut fins. Here is a website that can give you more information on the DT

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=884

To answer your questions,
1) They are both betta splendens, aka same species. I think you meant tail type
F1 generation (your babies from this spawn) will produce a mess, if you were to sell them to a mom and pop pet shop as OldFishLady Said, they would probably take the fry (baby bettas) But most people like nice colors and finnage, as you can tell most of the bettas that sell quick in a pet shop are the ones with big gorgeous fins and eye popping colors. Anyways, The tails will do well later on in the line, however genetics isnt ever that simple as any science major like me will tell you There is always a deviation from what is expected.

2) The male determines when he builds the nest! Some do it when they see females, some do it once she is released, and some when spawning.

The key thing is to have your supplies ready for your spawn

Here is a very helpful page With great information

http://www.flippersandfins.net/BettaBreedingArticle.htm

I think before you start breeding make sure you have this down like a science. I am starting my own line of halfmoons and I have been doing my research/ obtaining supplies. And it can be cheap, since I find my stuff on sale or it can be very costly. I like thrifting it helps!

Personally if you have homes for the fry, and you have a long term goal in mind, Research and start a spawn log!

One reason people are so "offended" is because The tail types you are crossing will mean you have to do MASSIVE culling to get the intended combtail or CTDT without passing on "bad genes" or what they like to call "pet shop betta genes" since most fish at the local petco or petsmart are mass bred and are a complete mess genetics wise. And most first time breeders are not prepared for doing mass culling. Basically you have to euthanize any fry (baby bettas) that show deformities. I would personally use the clove oil and vodka method, or the freezing cold water method. Some have told me they feed the fry to other fish, but if that is too jarring for you I would research other methods. There is alot to breeding, Alot of research helps. Please do not feel offended as many of us just want to do right by the fish and too many times on here people throw a male and a female in the tank before they know what to do and end up killing fish and it really gets frustrating. Study keeping the species and hold off your plans for a bit and It will be much more rewarding in the end. Sorry if I come off as rude, I don't mean to be at all!

Personally once I start breeding I'd like to try and produce a line of CTDT/Combtails. They are GORGEOUS! but I need to know more about genetics and the inbreeding process and how to do things correctly.

Last edited by Anitax3x; 07-08-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote