Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

Petco's Baby Bettas

I noticed that Petco sells tiny baby bettas and that they are sold to be starter fish, to grow up for the person who buys one. Would a baby betta even be able to survive under novice care? They need expert care to make it to adult hood, right? I mean, they need special food, preferably live baby brine shrimp, and sometimes don't eat due to extreme stress. They also need frequent water changes too, right?

I am just perplexed as to why Petco would sell them as a kid's first fish.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
ZergyMonster

Because it is just another marketing scheme, it will entice little kids and their parents to invest in one and probably a tank or two for each fish they decide to buy. Once it dies they have the opportunity to get another one if it dies in less than a week and then you're stuck with the tank (Usually the small useless tanks that nothing should ever live in). So no, they are not meant for novices at all and are sold to alleviate the responsibility the breeder has to handle to achieve adulthood in their spawns.

All in all, it is a harsh but very profitable turn of events.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 
ihatefirewalls

Some of the larger babies are 1" and would not be to difficult to raise.

The smaller ones probably don't have much of a chance with novices, sadly.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

The female betta I just got from WallyWorld is really small too...just an inch. I am worried about doing right by her. She seems well though, swimming, eating, and teasing my male in the next tank. I couldn't leave her there..sigh. At Petsmart yesterday I talked a kid's mother OUT of getting a betta for him until she learns something about them...I'm glad I did because the Mom told me that they are going on vacation for a week...so, yeah, the sales person gave me a nasty look, but whatever.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

So what exactly is involved in taking care of a baby betta?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

Betta bettas should have a large tank to reduce the effects of the stunting hormone that they secrete from their bodies. If you can't supply a large tank (10-20g) you will need to be doing water changes every day to every other day. They also require a high protein diet to promote strong and healthy growth. Live food are recommended for this because of their protein content and it is easier to get the babies to bite.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

I have a 10 gallon heated, filtered, cycled tank, some brine shrimp eggs that I could hatch out and frozen brine shrimp and blood worms in the freezer.

The only problem being that my current betta lives in the 10 gallon. Sadly, he looks to be on his way out as he is getting up there in age (3 years). Could I put a breeding box with a baby betta in there, and keep the older male in the rest of the 10 gallon? Or should I move the old man to a smaller tank and keep the baby in the 10 gallon?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

If you have a smaller tank that you can heat, I prefer the clean tank daily routine >.> otherwise I believe the ten gallon should be fine to share ( separated of course)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #9 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay. Gabe has since passed. RIP old man. So I guess the 10 gallon is available to keep a new baby betta in all by him (or her) self. I just got a 50 dollar gift card to Petco that I am itching to use. I think I'll buy a baby betta and some fry food. Would Hikari First Bites be a good food? I'll supplement it with live BBS.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

The bettas sold at petco are usually old enough to enjoy New Life Spectrum small fish formula. the baby formula is wayyyy too miniscule. I feel that alot of the baby bettas there are much older than their size, but the what they had to go through to get to Petco has stunted their health somewhat. I fed mine a variety of pellets and flakes, if they're too big, I crush them and fed four pellets a day, over 4 meals. one of my baby bettas literally started exploding with growth after coming home from petco.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote