Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #11 
Catfish Billy

I know right! I have 2 guinea pigs! The female has had 2 litters in her life! :)

I'm going to keep my betta in clean water for several days (I'll do more frequent water changes than normal).

If it gets worse I'll do a salt treatment in my spare 14 litre tank for a few days using Saxa Rock salt (when I can absoulutly confirm it's safe).

If it gets worse still (I hope it doesn't) I'll treat him for 5 days with Myxazin Anti-bacterial Medicine.

Thanks for everyones' help! :)
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #12 
Catfish Billy

OK, I just found this:
"Saxa Table Salt - Ingredients; Salt & Sodium Hexacyanoferrate. Toxic Do Not Use

Saxa Rock Salt - No Ingredients; Exactly what it says, Fine To Use."

Just thought it would be useful for anyone toying with the idea of using these salts as aquarium salt.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #13 
Catfish Billy

Just to confirm, this isn't fin rot?

Sorry for the rubbish quality but Suzuki doesn't stay still! Finally, I've uploaded a pic! (I think!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 07-09-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #14 
Catfish Billy

Ugh, I keep having to post....

Just in case I need to do salt treatment, do you keep the fish in QT for the whole 5 days or whatever, or is it like a "salt bath" when the fish is in there for a matter of minutes?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

I would really recommend to do 50% weekly water changes for 9 gall with regular gravel vacuuming. That is recommendations from someone on the forum who is really knowledgeable. I am personally do 100% water changes though.
Now if he has fin rot i would do even more water changes.
I read that people on the forum saying all the time that mild find rot will healed with super clean water. So i would think like you wrote see how he doing do extra water changes, which is more then 50% a week and if he is not better then you can use aquarium salt.
Picture is a little bit fuzzy . Is that black ends on his fins his natural color or it fin rot? Is he active and eating ?
If he is lethargic and refusing to eat then don't wait treat him right away.

Aquarium salt really helps. It also less stressful then medications. So if you decide to treat do aquarium salt.

Aquarium salt instructions:
You better to put him in smaller container it will be easier for you to do water changes.
Make sure new water is +-2-4* the same as his water. Take time to acclimate him to new temperature/chemestry.
Always pre mix aquarium salt in one gall jug for the right dosage. Of course add water conditioner that you usually using...
You will need to do 100% water changes every 24hsr
If you do aq salt you need to do full course of it and full dose of it.
Full course is 10 days. If you start it don't stop finish it or immune system can get resistant to it and will not help next time if you need it.
Dose is 1teaspoon/gall up to 3 teaspoon per gall.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

Never add salt directly to the tank/cup with betta always pre mix it first and shake well make sure it dissolved .
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #17 
Catfish Billy

Ok thanks. He is VERY active and eating well. Oops, I thought 33% water changes would be enough; thanks for pointing that out. I already do gravel vacuuming every water change.

See that's the thing, I don't know if the black tips are his natural color or fin rot, but I think it's fin rot as it's now disappearing. :)

Thanks for the instructions on salt treatment, however I'm hoping I won't need it. :)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #18 
BETTACHKALOVE

I am personally do a lot of water changes and it seems to help my tail bitter.
More water changes will not heart especially if he has fin rot.
Give us update :)
Old 07-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #19 
Catfish Billy

It's kinda' wierd. Some parts of his tail is recovering from the fin rot however in some places it's advancing! :(

I have decided to add a two day course of a small amount of Myxazin which is supposed to help prevent diseases, in the hope it will at least slow down the fin rot.

EDIT: Are transparent fins regrowing fins? Suzuki has a large amount of spikes that are slightly transparent. I dare say, I've just seen one of his spikes that has at the very, very tip a very, very tiny spot of red! Could his fins be recovering!?

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 07-10-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Transparent is regrowing fins, but tiny red tips - fin rot ...
I do know a few medications that i am recommending but i don't know about Myxazin. Do you know any one who has used it? I don't trust all medications so make sure you know what you using.

Also i am really recommending aquarium salt. It less stressful on the fish and also preventative.

I love the picture in your avatar. I am talking to some one who i think going to buy guinea pig. So cute!!!

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 07-10-2012 at 03:41 PM.