Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #21 
BETTACHKALOVE

Do you have a filter? I don't know a lot about filters since i don't have them in my tanks, but people on the forum writing that you also have to swish/rinse them regularly in the backed of the old water with a water change ...
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #22 
Catfish Billy

OK that's still good. I just think that I don't have enough time, money or experience to do salt treatment. Surely the 100% water changes etc. is stressful on the fish?

EDIT: Yes, I have a filter and I will rinse/swish the sponge in old aquarium water. Thanks for your help so far, you've been really good! :)

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 07-10-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #23 
BETTACHKALOVE

Aquarium salt is about $4.
Time and experience : if you can even put him in the container he came from it enough for the treatment. Or if you have 0.5 bowl. It really don't take a lot of time to change him every 24 hrs. It will take a few min. You just need to pre mix salt in advance in one gall tank. I know it sound overwhelming but when you do it -really don't take that much time.

100% water changes not stressful if you will acclimate him, if new water temperature the +-2* the same as his.

I do 100% water changes all the time for my bettas. I do it for 2.5 gall and for 5 gall tanks that i have. I always acclimate fish for about 15 min. And my bettas never get sick with that water changes....

If you really think he is not getting worse i would do salt not medications.
Think for human you don't want to medicate baby or even adult if you would think he is getting better and can avoid medications.

While you don't have salt and don't treat with medications i would do 50% water changes x 2 times a week see if it will help healing. Since you saying that you see transparent ends on his fins make sure there is not increasing of the red tips. So if you think he is getting better try to do more water changes twice a week if it difficult for you to get salt.
I personally like more water changes i think it a secret to keep bettas healthy . It really helping my tail biter too.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #24 
Catfish Billy

OK thanks a lot for that! :) I still don't understand....do you keep the betta in the treatment container for the whole week/10 days? I think I'd use my 14 liter tank for salt treatment if I need to but only fill it to 12 liters. I really think he's gonna get rid of the fin rot soon! :)
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #25 
BETTACHKALOVE

You have to keep betta in the treatment container for 10 days. He has to be in that salt water .
You really can keep him in his tank and lower the water but it will be just difficult for you to do 100% water changes every 24 hrs. 12 liters if about 3 gall. Unless you will lower the water to the point that it will be convenient for you to do changes. But then when you have him in smaller container it easier to pre mix salt treatment in one gall jug. Which is recommended to insure that you do right dosage.
Also if you have live plants it not tolerable to the salt, so if you have live plants you have to take them out.

If you will treat him in the container then wash everything in his tank with boiling water and let it sit in a sun for a few days to disinfect. If you going to treat him in his tank then just rinse it every time when you change his water. Or you can disinfect it if you want.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 07-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #26 
BETTACHKALOVE

Thank you for information on guinea pig. I will mail your answer to that person. And he also does research on his own.
It funny the more i talk and look at the guinea pigs pictures the more i want them myself.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #27 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Thank you for information on guinea pig. I will mail your answer to that person. And he also does research on his own.
It funny the more i talk and look at the guinea pigs pictures the more i want them myself.
No problem! I've loved guinea pigs for as long as I can remember!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #28 
Catfish Billy

Update: Most of the blackness on Suzuki's Caudal fin has gone and the tips are slightly transparent. I'm hoping the rest of the fin rot will go soon. :) Only bad thing is that at the edge of his tail (excluding the crown/spikes) it is starting to go ever-so-slightly black....
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

Are you sure it not his natural coloration? Looks like he has a lot of black on his body/fins
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #30 
Catfish Billy

Some of it could be, but there is un-natural amounts in some places that are turning transparent!