Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 
JBosley

Lumps + Color Patches, Help?

My HMPK, Fern, has 2 lumps on him 1 on his head, and one near his Ventral Fins. He also has white patches randomly on his body. It also looks like scales are growing on his eyes...

The first pictures shows the patches, as best as I could get! And the others show the bump + the eyes.

Housing

What size is your tank? 2 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Non

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega 1 Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner + Epsom Salts

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has white patches, as well as 2 lumps
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acting spazzy + not really eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, Epsom salts with daily water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 yr
Attached Images

JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
Purple

You can only use salt for 10 days without causing problems. Give your fish a rest for a few days from the salt. It looks like your fish has fungus. How is he acting "spazzy"? If he's darting and rubbing himself against decor or the side of the tank, he's trying to scratch. I'm not so sure about what the lumps could be, so don't quote me on this. It might be parasites (probably not) or some kind of fluid build-up. What does his poop look like? Also, his dorsal fin looks a bit scragledly. Is he healing from an injury?

Quote:
True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.
Always try the conservative treatment first. If it doesn't work, then and only then medication is needed.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 
JBosley

Thanks for the reply!
He has only been treated with the epsom salts for about 4 days Miscommunication. Sorry!!

He is darting around, not really rubbing against anything. His fin was ripped when he was cupped the other day, the silly guy was spazzing like crazy.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 
Purple

Ah. Switch to Aqu.Salt. (: I hope he feels better!
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

If you try the AQ salt and it doesn't help, and you want to try the OTC meds, I've used Jungle Fungus Eliminator and it worked well and didn't seem to be too hard on them the way some of the meds can be. Just make sure you're not mixing salt and meds...I don't know if that could cause a reaction or not, but be sure to have new water for the meds. :)

It's an antibiotic/antifungal, and seems to do the trick usually, just make sure you follow the directions and measure carefully. The directions are for 4 or 5 gallon tanks, so you have to do some math, but it's not bad. :)

I hope he gets better for you soon! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #6 
JBosley

I got some Jungle Fungus Eliminator today!

The awesome guy who I call the "Fish Guy" also gave me some water from the planted tank. He said that it might help him. Going to try that for a few days and then start using the Jungle Fungus Eliminator.\

My poor guy He doesn't look very good! It looks like scales are growing over his eyes, and he isn't really eating...
Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I feel so bad for not having thought of this before...but with the spazzing and his coloring, he could have Ich. I know that Ich can spread and cause white patches on their eyes as well...So he's got the "spazzing" flashing rubbing, and his color makes it hard to see if he has white spots, but you said he's got patches...I really wonder if he might have Ich. :P Again, I'm so sorry for not thinking of this before, especially after you already bought meds! I don't know if the Jungle will help with Ich or not. It might, but I've never used it for Ich before so I can't say for certain, since you've got it, it's worth a try. :) If it doesn't work, then I'd try some of the Ich meds, I know that there are some that are liquids and are supposed to cure it within 24-48 hours so it's quick. Just make sure that you don't use both together! :)

Good luck to you, and I'm sorry again for not picking up on the Ich possibility. Hopefully it really is fungus and the Jungle meds will take care of it for you. Positive thoughts coming your way for your boy!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #8 
JBosley

Thanks! I didn't think Ich either, because of the tumor type bumps he has. I just cleaned his tank, and added the "planted tank water" hoping that might help a bit! Going to do a 50% change tomorrow and use the Jungle stuff I bought.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #9 
JBosley

I used the Jungle Fungus Eliminator today! Really hoping it helps him, he isn't looking to great....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #10 
JBosley

Ack! The tumor type bump on his head is WORSE

Nothing seems to be working... and now he isn't eating. I have been using Jungle Fungus Eliminator for 4 ish days. How long should I continue to use it?