Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 
tamikakes

where to find affordable hood

I found a 10gal Aqueon tank at my local goodwill for $4.....still has the label on it, looks fairly brand new. No hood/lid tho, where can I find an affordable lid? New or used? I don't want to start cycling til I find a lid Thanks!
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 
Aahnay

Amazon. And you can make your own.. get the glass cut, in two pieces then just buy the hinge.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Plexiglass would also work. Or even the craft mesh that we use to make dividers. A lot of home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot will cut the plexiglass for you.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Depending on what you mean by "cheap".
I always like Dr. Foster & Smith prices... lighted hoods are $20, glass are $10. Of course there's shipping to pay but hoods in the LPS run for $40
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #5 
Vaughan06

I bought the hood of my 10 gallon at Walmart. It was around $30, but it included lights and an opening to drop food in.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #6 
mattoboy

You can try Petsmart/Petco for 20" tank hoods or whatever size they are
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #7 
djembekah

yeah walmart for a standard ten gallon hood. home depot wouldn't cut actual glass for me, but they would have cut the $29084387238923 plexiglass @_@ glass is cheaper but you have to buy the glass cutting kit. which i think i'm going to do next time i get paid (couldnt find a hood that fit for my vintage 29 gallon anywhere.)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

For my 20G I got an aqueon versa top for $16 or so. It's just a hinged glass top and then 2 weeks later I paid the $40 for the freakin light strip. If you just want a top without a light, versa tops arent that bad
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...lass-tops.htm#
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #9 
Aurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
For my 20G I got an aqueon versa top for $16 or so. It's just a hinged glass top and then 2 weeks later I paid the $40 for the freakin light strip. If you just want a top without a light, versa tops arent that bad
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...lass-tops.htm#
Gotta be careful with the 20 and 10 gallons, for some reason I went to buy a 10 gallon and looked at the measurements and it was wrong! Even though it was 10 gallons.. I told the associate and he offered a display right off a 10 gallon he had and I was much happier .. they could stand to be about 1 cm longer front to back though (with the back plastic on)

My local Walmart had your standard aquaeon lids for $10 and lights 2 for 1.99 (incandecent) It's the same "deluxe" lid that petco sells for almost $30! the only downside I ran into with mine (I bought the 10 gallon kit) is that the screws that hold in the light can get rusted if you put bubbles under it (it gets wet) and the lights burn out fast, but then again I was using the 1.99 lights LOL (I have since upgraded to the strip light and mini flourescents in the hood on my betta tank)
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 
goldfishyman

Have an ACE Hardware near by? They will cut glass for you. Take your measurements and they will do all the work for you. You may need to get a sharpening stone to grind down the edges of the cut glass so you don't get cut. Also you can lay the two pieces side by side and run a bead of silicon sealer down the top of the two pieces and smooth it out. When it dries it will form a nice hinge. Make sure its a thick bead and not to smooth it down too much. You need enough silicon to make the seal tough.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote