Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #1 
goldfishyman

Marimos balls

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...s-ball-104849/

I cannot post in this thread because I'm new. I purchased these balls from this seller because of this thread. I purchased 8 of them. It cost $16 + 7.25 shipping. I thought that these were a good deal but in the end it was a rip off. You be the judge.

The first pic is of the ebay advertisement. If you look you can see a log used for reference. However in the title he puts that they are 2.5 to 4cm in size. You will not find this in the description just the title.

The second picture, the marimo balls on top of the envelope they came in. Really $7.25? He could have put them in a flat rate box for less.

The third picture, my petsmart Marimo ball, purchased 1 day before I bought these off Ebay, side by side with the 8 balls in another cup. Notice I could have taken my Marimo ball from petsmart and cut them into 8 tiny balls just like this guy did. What a racket, buy a marimo ball from petsmart cut it up and resell it make $23.00 on a $7 purchase.

The fourth picture, is just a different angle showing the massive size of my petsmart marimo ball.
Attached Images

Last edited by goldfishyman; 07-08-2012 at 03:35 AM.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 
littlegreen

I cannot judge your experience, but I have bought from this seller with no problems. The higher shipping cost was likely unfair, yes, but probably just because you ordered 8 of them. Maybe the seller just doesn't offer combined shipping?
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #3 
Knitterly

I had a similar experience with that seller. The balls arrived small, squished, and damp. I put them in the tank and they did fluff up a lot. The LONGEST length of each was 1" or 2.5cm, not the shortest length. They were closer to 1cm by 3cm in shape.

But, I was also charged nearly $4 shipping for less than 2oz in a polymailer, which I happen to know cost him under $2 to ship, since I ship in those a lot and I am only 200 miles from the shipper. AND my balls are all dying now! Less than 2 weeks later.

yes, I tested my water parameters. T he only one that was off was the temp, which I had at 86 while I was cycling the tank. So I moved them to a bowl in the window, pulled off the dead stuff to expose green algea, and they're still dying.

Last edited by Knitterly; 07-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 
littlegreen

Weird!! : ( Mine was 2.5ish on arrival, and it's since grown big enough to split into two. Must be a hit or miss thing.
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 
goldfishyman

He said to send him my email address and he would send me a shipping label and give me a full refund. That was yesterday still no response after I sent the email and replied via ebay. My wife is angry she wants to do a dispute. I paid this with my AMEX card and they could give a crap about paypal or ebay rules.

The email I sent him explained how these items were so small and the picture is unrepresentative of what your getting. I think when I mentioned that I could just buy one from petco/petsmart and just pull it apart and get 8 pieces for $7 he knew I could screw his business so he offered the refund. Just confused as to why I have not received a response yet. All I know is if I don't get refunded properly I'm linking this thread in my review of him.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #6 
Knitterly

I sent him an email about mine starting to die almost immediately. I can't expect anything more than, "user error" but it's worth asking about. There's no reason why they should die within days of being added to my tank.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #7 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitterly View Post
I sent him an email about mine starting to die almost immediately. I can't expect anything more than, "user error" but it's worth asking about. There's no reason why they should die within days of being added to my tank.
This is why I always use my AMEX when using Ebay. Seems like this guy knows the system and how to get away with ripping people off. I read a few comments and one of his reply was guy filed dispute against him and lost. Since the item is not that expensive for 1 most people probably won't be bothered, but I spent $23+ on these. Even if I lose Ebay/paypal dispute, I will win via AMEX.

I bring this up on the forum to make sure no one else gets taken advantage of.

Last edited by goldfishyman; 07-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 
Aahnay

Ebay has another way to get help too, crap, cant remember what its called. Lol. oh.. every purchase is covered free now, buyer something... look around on ebay, its there, read it and email them with the photos.

As for the pictoral false advertising, its hard to do anything about that. If the buyer says, look at the pictures, they say it all, or in the listing they say it all, size for instance.

Many, many ads are constructed this way everywhere. Im alsway reading everything 3 times, and looking at the pics, and i ask questions.

I dislike that ebay has changed the way we can see the bidders real identity. In the past you know who was bidding, and what to expect. You could even catch a seller bidding up the prices, now you cannot.

Sorry i digress.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-09-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yep same seller that I got my 3 from and looks like the same size. Here is some good news and bad news...I have read that those really big ones like the one you got at Petsmart are not the real Marimo moss balls because it takes many many years for them to get that size they are not the same as the Real ones plus they are very slow to grow and can live over a hundred years. They come some river in Japan and why I think the ones he is selling on ebay are for real is look at his name. So I figure maybe someone in Japan ships them to him to sell. Now this is only a guess but it makes sense to me...lol I hope you get this straightened out that is alot of money and Yes the shipping cost is way to much for the way he ships them ! Good luck ! I have only had mine for 2 weeks and one week in my tank and I soaked them for a week in tap water and yes a lot of dirt came out of them at first so be sure and soak them before adding to the tank. Mine are still looking good and green hope they stay that way.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Just wanted to add that either way real or fake these Moss Balls have become big money for some and that I do like them they are pretty cool, as for Perseus he sure did check them out when I first put them in the tank and now just every now and then he will sit and look at them for a few seconds...lol
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote