Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 
emilyjessica

Under gravel filter?

I have an old 5 gallon tank that I plan to put a betta in, and it seems to have a filter that would suck the water from under the gravel (there's a tube that goes under this plastic grid that the rocks would go on top of).

I'm going to be buying a new filter either way, so would it better if I just got a regular one, or one that would connect to the tube? And if I use the under gravel kind, is there a particular type of rocks that works best with it? pros/cons of this kind of filter?
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #2 
Chrexis

Well for Bettas and if you're looking to plant it or get snails or smaller stuff I've heard that under gravel filters really aren't that great. I would suggest getting a regular one, just be on the look out if it doesn't have adjustable flow, you will have to baffle it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 (a guide to making a baffle)
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjessica View Post
I have an old 5 gallon tank that I plan to put a betta in, and it seems to have a filter that would suck the water from under the gravel (there's a tube that goes under this plastic grid that the rocks would go on top of).

I'm going to be buying a new filter either way, so would it better if I just got a regular one, or one that would connect to the tube? And if I use the under gravel kind, is there a particular type of rocks that works best with it? pros/cons of this kind of filter?

If you can find a powerhead with reverse flow capabilities you can use the under gravel filter with great success. You want the filter to push water into the filter bed instead of sucking water into it. Make sure your powerhead has a way to put a foam filter over the intake to prevent fish from being sucked in.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 
goldfishyman

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PH0660R-Penguin-Reverse-Prefilter/dp/B0002565UM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1341889064&sr=1-1&keywords=powerhead+reverse+flow+kit"]Amazon.com: Marineland PH0660R Penguin Power Head 660R, Reverse Flow with Sponge Prefilter, 170GPH: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Not sure if this is too big but its just to give you an idea of what to look for. You can scroll down and they show images of this with the reverse flow kit attached to a undergravel filter
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #5 
emilyjessica

Okay thanks guys. If I can find one like that in a store or somewhere that'll ship easily to Canada, I'll look into getting it, if not then just a regular one. Would the undergravel (reversed one) technically be better than a regular filter? I imagine it would reduce the current at the very least.
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #6 
goldfishyman

It will allow you to have plants and a clean substrate. I would use the undergravel since you already have it. It should be milder than most Hang on back filters. You can use a sponge filter with an air pump but those are noisy as hell.