Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #1 
LizzyP

Water testing issues

I'll only fill out these sections because I feel they are the only necessary ones:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80-82F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Tetra Whisper
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just himself

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% (60% this morning, got a little carried away) with a cup, not a gravel vacuum or hose, I just scoop it out on Sundays. 100% on Wednesdays, gravel & decorations are taken out and rinsed in steaming hot water and scrubbed.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.0-7.6
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

So let me start off by telling you I know nothing about water parameters. I know what is good and what isn't good.

I got up early to change Dumbledore's water, as I stated I only do a 50% on Sundays, but today I did a 60%. Yesterday I did water test and my results were:
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: I don't remember :/
pH: In it's usual area

I had a softball tournament all day, so I couldn't change the water until now and the results were as I stated them in the survey. So, what happened? Why didn't the ammonia go down, but the nitrites go down? I followed the ammonia test to a T (using API Freshwater Master). Is my fish going to be sick? Or is my water cleaning schedule off?

This is why I never went into the science field.

EDIT: I have one live plant in there, too. I don't know if that helps you.

A very confused and frustrated LizzyP

Last edited by LizzyP; 07-08-2012 at 06:59 AM.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #2 
kai

100% water changes are not needed as ur starting a new tank each time stick to 50/60% no more this could be a reason why ur parameters are all over the place
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #3 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
100% water changes are not needed as ur starting a new tank each time stick to 50/60% no more this could be a reason why ur parameters are all over the place
Should I then stir the gravel up and then scoop?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 
kai

If ur using gravel vacuuming it with an aquarium gravel cleaner is ur best option and it also makes draining a breeze (im planted with mpc and sand so i cant use 1) .
Remember the last 10% of ur tank water is where the good stuff lives so removing all the water is like starting a tank over and over (other's disagree tho ) .

Interpet Prime Gravel Cleaner, Large on amazon is a good 1 i use it on my friends 48lt fish-box she has 2 angel fish in and it cleans the gravel well

Also this ink may help for recommended water changes http://aqadvisor.com/

Last edited by kai; 07-08-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: adding a link
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #5 
LizzyP

I have a 3 gallon tank. I would need a very small vacuum. I found one for pretty cheap, but my boyfriend will not be happy.

So, you're saying that just do more frequent 50% changes instead of 100%? Ugh, I wish I had more opinions on this.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #6 
kai

Assuming u have 1 male beta in a 3g tank with the whisper 3i running the link above suggests
You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 136%.
Recommended water change schedule: 11% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 115%

Like i said b4 taking to much water is like starting a new tank and cycling iv every time .
The gravel cleaner will help tremendously as this is where hes waist is sitting along with uneaten food's
Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #7 
LizzyP

So I just need a vacuum and suck out 50% of the water from the bottom, no from the top. That is what I was doing wrong.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

On a 3gal filtered with a single live plant and Betta...water changes of 50% twice a week should maintain water quality....1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots....or do the stir and dip method if you don't have a vacuum...give the substrate a little stir and dip out with a cup.....When you turn the filter back on-the water should clear within the hour....if not you either missed a water change or overfeeding.....

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month.

The beneficial bacteria you are colonizing are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas within the tank, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media....Very little are in the water column and water only changes will not hurt the cycle, however, over or under cleaning can.....

In a 3gal filtered tank-it can establish the nitrogen cycle, however, it may not be stable due to limited surface area....

The beneficial bacteria you are colonizing are self limiting....they need oxygen, surface area and food source....

What kind of plant are you adding any ferts...can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #9 
LizzyP

Well, I think the problem was my plant. It was dying and there were a couple dead leaves on said plant, so I'm getting rid of it. I tried vacuuming and did a test, still .25ppm. So then I just decided to dump out the tank and start from scratch. Right now I'm waiting for my current ammonia tests to finish. I'm running 2 tests, one with just straight water from the tap, not put in the tank, no water conditioner, nothing. Second one from the tank itself w/gravel no water conditioner. To me it looks like it's still reading .25ppm, on both tests! What the heck?! I don't understand how the fresh water from the tap itself is reading ammonia. UGHHHHH.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon to have ammonia in the source water....

What kind of plant....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote