Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 
cjconcepcion

Internal parasites? :/

Alright, a few days ago when i was treating my CT for SBD, someone told me to watch out for white stringy poop as it was a sign of internal parasites. Today, i noticed my bf's VT girl has white stringy poo. Also, i noticed that every morning she is a very dark blue when she comes to the side of the tank when i feed her in the morning, but she gets stress stripes as soon as i feed her, and they dont ever go completely away throughout the day, is this normal? What should i do?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons divided tank
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? not yet
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 male VT

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? a mixture of akitson's betta pro, omega one betta buffet pellets, tetra betta floating mini pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, daphnia, mysis shrimp, and homemade food that contains shrimp, garlic and peas (OFL's recipe)
How often do you feed your betta fish? In one average pellet size, 3 times a day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every week and a half
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? seachem prime water condiditoner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? not in the 2 weeks, i usually take it to petsmart as they do it for free, and they say its perfect every time,

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? it hasnt
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasnt, she is extremely lively and curious, she zooms around her tank and waits at the top corner waiting for me to feed her
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, idk what to do yet :/
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, she had a few fin nips when i first got her though
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe 5 months, shes a petstore fish, so cant say for sure
Attached Images

cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

I'm treating all of mine right now for this. I have API general cure. I have already finished with the boys and am doing the girls now. I haven't seen anymore stringy white poo so I suppose it works just fine.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 
Kenny G

In a lot of different forums people suggested doing a full water change, then medicate with BettaZing.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Aren't you supposed to make her eat medicated foods?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

i thought it was medicated food too... i heard that garlic has antibacterial properties? not sure if this is true or not but i made her some food with extra garlic in it, also, is this contagious? i dont want it to spread to her boyfriend haha, but i dont have another qt tank as of right now.... ive got IAL, epsom salt, AQ salt, amd maracyn, what should i use for right now?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #6 
cjconcepcion

how much is API and bettazing? cause neither me or my boyfriend have very much money right now...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

Never heard of bettazing...
If you can find jungle anti parasite fish food that should work but I have never had a betta actually eat the pellets. I made my own by using their normal pellets and soaking it in water that had been medicated with Jungle anti parasite fizzy tabs. I broke one tablet into 1/4 of its size and filled up a petco betta cup with water and dropped it in. I let it soak for a bit and then fished them out (its a pain in the butt to get them out with a spoon FYI).
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

Never heard of bettazing...
If you can find jungle anti parasite fish food that should work but I have never had a betta actually eat the pellets. I made my own by using their normal pellets and soaking it in water that had been medicated with Jungle anti parasite fizzy tabs. I broke one tablet into 1/4 of its size and filled up a petco betta cup with water and dropped it in. I let it soak for a bit and then fished them out (its a pain in the butt to get them out with a spoon FYI).

you can probably do the same thing with general cure, I would think
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #9 
cjconcepcion

this is probably going to be so complicated... i doubt she will eat anything medicated as she is the second pickiest fish i have :/