Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Fry activity level

The fry from my royal blue spawn are very inactive. They just sit still all day even when I feed them. They dart around if I tap the box but other than that they are pretty inactive. They have been free swimming for 3 days. The water tests out fine except for ammonia which is at less than .25ppm-very light yellowish green with the API kit. I was considering dropping an ammonia lock pouch in there. What do you guys think?

My salamander spawn was much more active at this age. They are 11 days old and I have only lost one fry out of that batch but they are very active and LUV to eat.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Temperature? I'm still learning and I want to know this too. I suggest to do a water change if there's ammonia. I don't know when the growth stunts kick in but I'm going to give that another reason to do a water change. Sorry about the inactivity. They should be like little kids. Wanting to play day and night. I hope you find out soon!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

The water is quite warm. 87 degrees during the day. But then again the fish are all in the same room and the others seem to be fine. I don't dare do a water change. They are so tiny! I thought I could add water over the next few days to dilute the ammonia or toss some ammo lock in there. I think I'm safer with ammo lock. I siphoned the bottom of the tank while they were still vertical in the nest.

I hope things go OK because it is a large spawn. Easily over a 150 fry. These are my royal blues that I was excited about so fingers are crossed.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Hope your Spawn goes well! What fin type is it? Halfmoon? I hope you find your problem. Did you do a lot of Spawns in the past? I'm still learning so I could try to have a successful spawn in the future. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

These guys are my giant HMPK's. These are my first spawns so I'm learning too!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Most fry are inactive unless they're "hunting" or startled. Most of my fry remain like this until they are 1cm (specially when they have a full belly).
3 days after free swimming .... try this: vibrate a small chopstick or your finger on the water surface. They should slowly swim towards the stick .... you could also use this method to feed them once most are there. They will stop approaching vibrating stick when they reach 3 - 5 mm.

In nature, dad would take some food, vibrate his pectorals rapidly - calling his fry. Then he would release food debris for his fry to eat. Sometimes he would also mouth them for a short time.... not sure what's he doing.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Thanks. I will try this.