So my first two spawns I did the US way. Sort of a PITA and took a week each for the spawn to take place. Both females were ragged and one male has a chunk out of his pectoral.
I filled a 2g horse feed bucket-Lord knows I have a ton of them, topped it with a ton of duck weed and a few java ferns and tossed my pair in-I checked in on them occasionally to make sure it wasn't getting ugly. They spawned in two days with zero damage to either. The female is already back in her 10g like nothing happened and the male is tending the nest. I am putting this spawn outdoors as soon as they are free swimming-if the male doesn't eat the eggs first, and we'll see how it goes.
The next spawn I have planned is for green butterflies and the next one is going to be a salamander butterfly and a solid steel blue. I am hoping for some steel blue butterflies out of that batch to breed to the green butterflies to get back to the plan of royal blue butterflies...whew...that was a mouthful!