Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

and i heard that fishfeeder fail sometimes. And if it is then water will be contaminated and can get fish bacterial infection. Especially if temperature is too warm. So a agree with Hallyx.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #22 
BubbiBubba

Once the tank is fully cycled, what is the up keep???

I am planning on adding a shrimp or two, waiting 24 hours, & then adding my betta fish finally.

I have no idea what to do after that! Is there certain way to keep the cycle going???

Thank you so much! I can't stop returning to this site & stressing!

Appreciating Everyone's Input,
xoxo
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #23 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Once your tank can reduce 2.0ppm ammonia to 0.0ppm in a day, you're cycled and can add shrimp, fish, anything within reason.

From then on, one 50% change per week with light vacuuming is all you need to reduce DOCs (dissolved organic compounds that slip through your filter); to keep your nitrates down and to replenish minerals that your fish uses up.

Swish/rinse your filter foam in old tank water during a pwc every month or so to keep it from getting gummed up.

Enjoy your fish, knowing he and his friends are living in the purest water you can provide.

Last edited by Hallyx; 07-13-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

+ filter media swish/rinse in the backed of old water WITH water changes...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #25 
BubbiBubba

Thanks you guys, you're awesome! :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #26 
BubbiBubba

How do YOU guys do PWC's...? I'm supposed to turn off all the appliances first, right...? Or would that stall the cycle... hmmm. Fish keeping is HARD. Never expected this from my long journey of my Bubba impulse buy... :)
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #27 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbiBubba View Post
How do YOU guys do PWC's...? I'm supposed to turn off all the appliances first, right...? Or would that stall the cycle... hmmm.
It's a good idea to turn everything off. That's where a power strip comes in handy. A clip on "trouble light" is a nice thing to have so you can see what you're doing.

It doesn't effect your cycle at all; there's not much bacteria in the water column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbiBubba View Post
Fish keeping is HARD. Never expected this from my long journey of my Bubba impulse buy... :)
It gets easier, starting around now. ;-}

My first two fish were bought on impulse. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would not have done it. On the other hand, I'm sure glad I did.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #28 
BubbiBubba

Exclamation

UPDATE

SO. Maybe I'm an idiot, but here it goes:
My "FISHLESS" cycle isn't too fishless, because as of today, there are now a betta fish & 2 Amano shrimp residing in it.

Please don't yell at me! The tank has been cycling for over 3 weeks now, but it isn't fully cycled. I don't think the SECOND type of beneficial bacteria EVER showed up, because although the nitrAtes are coming up in tests, the nitrites never go down!

I am running out of time as I am leaving in two days, so I had to add in my fish a tad earlier than planned so I could see how things were going & monitor the progress of their health & the tank.

I added in the 2 Amano shrimp yesterday, acclimated them like usual, & set them free to explore & scurry around a bit before they would meet their new friend...

The next day (currently today) I acclimated Bubba & he is still swimming around calmly, probably enjoying the new warmth of his 80 degrees F home.......

I am worried about the water parameters while I am gone. Here it goes:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 2.0ppm
NitrAtes - 40ppm (YIKES, I know... I don't know what happened)
pH - 7.6

HELP!!! What do I do? I don't need to keep adding ammonia, right? My betta fish & shrimp can keep the cycling going?

& I keep doing PWCs but the Nitrites refuse to go anywhere & the NitrAtes are soaring! Like a random spike!

Professionals & knowledged hobbyists & keepers WELCOME.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #29 
BubbiBubba

***ALSO:

My bowfront tank came w/ those little carbon filters that say to replace them after 4-6 weeks or less or something like that.

What the heck?? If I actually followed that, I'd be swarmed in filter debt & the BB would be completely gone!

How do you guys deal w/ this situation?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #30 
mahi

I can't answer your other questions, but I can give you my experience with the carbon filter.

My filter also has a compartment for those carbon pellets, but I just removed them. My have been stable the whole time.

I do keep some carbon pellets stashed in case I ever have to remove some medication.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, betta fish, fishless cycle, help wanted, shrimp