Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #11 
TheCrabbyTabby

So I had a challenge set before me. Snap a picture of Squishy with ventrals out and not tucked against the body. It was hard, but I managed it. Poor little one seemed stressed to be back in the cup, where I took the pictures, so as a consolation, I gave him a bloodworm.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #12 
TheCrabbyTabby

I forgot to mention I got a log of mopani wood to tie my java ferns too. Its currently sitting in the 3 gallon hospital tank, complete with a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon to help rid it of any little hitch hikers. Never can be too careful of anything these days.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #13 
TheCrabbyTabby

Well, I think Squishy is a little boy. Sakura gave me her best guess. He has long ventral fins like the adult males I've seen and had so I think so too.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #14 
TheCrabbyTabby

Set up a small 15 ounce tank for hatching BBS. I am not sure if they are ready to be fed to Squishy yet, can't really see much going on in there besides the eggs floating at the surface. I put the eggs in last night, so the should have hatched by now.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #15 
TheCrabbyTabby

I think I definitely have a little boy betta on my hands. I went to feed him this morning and found several little clusters of little bubbles on the surface. They aren't a solid bubble nest, but in time I think he'll figure it out.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #16 
TheCrabbyTabby

Alrighty then. I was just on Ebay, buying myself some lovely purple mystery snails (pomacea bridgsii diffusa var. rosa) and some algae wafers with which to feed them. Its been a while since I've done apple snails, but I just couldn't resist doing them again. I was kind of hesitant to do them again, due to the bad incident I had happen last time I got them (my poor male halfmoon opaque white betta Finlay had gotten sick from them, they caused his eyes to turn opaque white and his tail to shred and rot off, and later passed away after weeks of hanging on by a thread).

I bought 4 pea sized babies. They and the wafers should get here either Friday or Saturday. Hopefully sooner rather than later, and hopefully the wafers will get here before the snails. I will take pictures of them when they get here. Hopefully they will all be alive and well upon arrival, and of course in their quarantine tank.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #17 
TheCrabbyTabby

The snails and the wafers are on their way now! I am truly excited about this! I am anticipating their arrival on pins and needles!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #18 
teeneythebetta

So sorry about gabe :( Is he the one in your avatar?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #19 
TheCrabbyTabby

Yup. He was a beauty, wasn't he?

I am thinking about buying more mopani wood. Need something to tie all the dang free floating java moss too. Oh wait! I could get a rock from the garden!! Just tie the moss to that! I am so smart I amaze myself.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #20 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay. I got two medium-ish sized rocks from the garden, ran them under really hot water and scrubbed them really well. Then I put one of them in first, a really pretty rock with all these flecks of Pyrite in it and put the moss on top of it and used the second rock to anchor the moss so it would stay put. That's when the water flowed over the top and onto the floor from all the displacement. Woops! Guess I should have take a little out beforehand.

Also, another update on my snails! They are going to arrive tomorrow!! I am so excited. If only the algae wafers would arrive tomorrow, everything would be perfect!!