Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #21 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay. Its 2:09 EST now and likely will be a few minutes later when I get done typing a posting this. I am wide awake and excited as ever for my snail babies to get here. I do hope that they are okay. Last time I had purple mystery snails sent to me, they both were DOA, and the seller didn't bother to refund the money. Luckily though, Ebay has since put their Buyer Protection Plan into action and I'll be sure to have that as a back-up plan if push comes to shove.

I have a lovely 3 gallon tank (my hospital/qt tank) ready for them. Its bare bones, but something tells me the snails won't mind. I'll throw in some food, most likely a few algae covered rocks and betta pellets, when they get here. I'll be sure to snap tons of pictures of the little guys when they do.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #22 
TheCrabbyTabby

The sun is almost up and I can hear the first of the song birds chirping their morning songs. Why do birds chirp like that first thing in the morning? Its like when a rooster crows. Why the heck do they feel compelled to greet the sun with a chorus of songs like that? Hmmmmm. I guess I'll never really know that answer.

Anyways. Snails should be here in 7-8 hours. That seems like a lifetime away right now. Isn't it funny how when you want time to move quickly, it ticks by slowly, and when your not urging it along and busy with something, it goes by in the blink of an eye?

I guess I'll be here. Waiting, and watching the time go slowly on by.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #23 
Shirleythebetta

I'm still trying to decide on what kind of snail I want in my 5 :/
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #24 
TheCrabbyTabby

Ooh. Snail shopping!!!

Nerites, mystery snails, rabbit snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS), trapdoor snails, pond snails, assassin snails.

The possibilities are endless!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #25 
Shirleythebetta

Aren't the trumpet snails the ones who sort of in a way burrow in the sand? Are the all good with gravel? Thankfully my male is docile so I shouldn't have any agression issues. I have no experience with snails.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #26 
TheCrabbyTabby

Yeah, trumpet snails are burrowers and are good at turning up the sand so it doesn't get deadly gas bubbles in it. I have, or used to have, a variety called jade trumpet snails. They looked exactly like the regular ones except they were a pale jade color and got a little bit bigger. Haven't seen one in a while though, which leaves me to believe they've all died.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #27 
Shirleythebetta

The easiest ones for me to get are mystery snails and pond snails. I don't want the pond snails because I here they multiply fast and I have nowhere to put them. Oh wait, never mind, my dad has a 55 long I can sneak them into his tank when I visit him. HEHE. whats your opinion on these two types for a single male betta in a 5 gallon? I am interested in seeing these snails your getting today.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #28 
TheCrabbyTabby

I would definitely go with the mystery snail then.

Well, way back when I was keeping them both before, I had introduced a white opaque halfmoon named Finlay to some mystery snails. He tried to eat the poor snails' longer set of tentacles/antennae thinking that they were worms of some sort. However, the snails were always quick to draw them in before they were chomped off, so no harm was really done. After a while, Finlay gave up and never really bothered them anymore.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #29 
teeneythebetta

LOL This is so cute, like a little kid waiting for Santa clause!!

Maybe it is different with mystery snails- but mine seem to try and avoid gravel, most of the time they are on the side of the glass.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #30 
TheCrabbyTabby

Glad you find it cute, Teeny.

I have sand in my tank, so I am curious to see what the snails do when I put them in there. I've heard that they've been known to bury themselves sometimes.

I think I am feeling the effects of not having sleep last night. Things seem strangely surreal and seeming insignificant things are becoming fascinating to me. For instance, the sound of the keys clacking and movement of my hands while I am typing this post right now is strangely fascinating and weird.

My body is screaming for me to lay down and rest, but I am denying it this. I want to get my snails into their tank the moment they arrive and not have them sit out in the heat of the day while I snooze. They might not survive sitting out in the sun.

So, I guess I'll soon be getting myself a caffeine rich drink like a Diet Coke to help boost my energy and keep me awake whilst I wait.