Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #1 
tanseattle

Any DIY Water Conditioner?

Does anyone here make your own water conditioner?

If you read on the back of the water conditioners you often see sodium thiosulfate, sodium carbonate, EDTA, and polyvinylxxxx (for slime coat). Does anyone here do it yourself water conditioner?

The most important chemical is sodium thiosulfate (if you are poinsoned and come to ER most likely you will get sodium thiosulfate in the I.V. line).

EDTA and Sodium Carbonate are used for removing hard chemical but these hard chemical are very small in tap water. You can skip these two chemicals.

Polyvinylxxxx thing is for slime coat if you fish fight and cut and it is very low dose.

So the only thing you really need is sodium thiosulfate.

Does any making your own water conditioner? I have many tanks and it cost too much using comercial water conditioners.

For $6.5 you can get 500g of sodium thiosulfate that can last for 10 years or neutralize about 100,000 gal of tap water.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #2 
CallmeAustin

DIY

Step 1 Go to store
Step 2 buy Water Conditoner

I wouldn't mess around with chemicals for any living animal.
CallmeAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #3 
tanseattle

I teach chemistry in college and high school. Step #2 is very expensive when you have 20 tanks like I have.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would say test it on a population of snails while animal rights have not yet gotten to snails. Especially since most snails like ramshorns pond snails and mts are prolific breeders and considered a pest. or... test on a few ghost shrimps, if they survive... almost anything will survive. but I support you to try it out and tell the rest of the forum community what the results are :D i think the most important things are getting rid of chlorine and chlromine.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #5 
Twilight Storm

Look into pond dechlorinators, and their websites if no one can answer you here. I know i've seen this talked about on some forum or website when I was doing other research. Some of the pond and plant sites talk about this.

Some of the gallon liquid pond dechlor jugs are under $20 though, and even with 20 tanks I would think a giant jug would last quite a long time depending on the concentration of the liquid, even if you are treating huge vats of water to age for water changes. (Just thought I would bring it up as an option just in case)

GL btw and welcome to the site :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I would say test it on a population of snails while animal rights have not yet gotten to snails. Especially since most snails like ramshorns pond snails and mts are prolific breeders and considered a pest. or... test on a few ghost shrimps, if they survive... almost anything will survive. but I support you to try it out and tell the rest of the forum community what the results are :D i think the most important things are getting rid of chlorine and chlromine.
+1 Once I had something happen and I had to remove my snails. It was a stressful situation & i forgot to add conditioner and about an hour later I went to check on them and they were both in their shells and hadn't moved. I was like OMG WTF and quickly got them into conditioned water. Poor things. They're still alive though.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

I have a lot of tanks, too. I use Prime as it is very concentrated. You can buy it in bulk (2L bottles), and it is much more cost efficient that way. A lot of my aquarist friends have more tanks than I do and will use Prime in the largest bottles. I would find the prices of those chemicals first before I call it the DIY way less expensive.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

I'm with Twilight Storm, I use API super concentrated water conditioner (for ponds) and it's something like 1ml per 20 gallons of water, and the bottle itself is a good 360ml or 480ml's. I think I paid $6 for the bottle at Petco, and I'm sure you could find it cheaper online somewhere.

http://www.123ponds.com/dechlgal.html
The only thing with this one...do you want the alkilinity changed? I'm not sure about that one, but the rest of it sounds good.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/p...for-ponds.html
1 gallon size treats over 15,000 gallons of water for 41.00 and has the stress coat with it

I hope that helps!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #9 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I have a lot of tanks, too. I use Prime as it is very concentrated. You can buy it in bulk (2L bottles), and it is much more cost efficient that way. A lot of my aquarist friends have more tanks than I do and will use Prime in the largest bottles. I would find the prices of those chemicals first before I call it the DIY way less expensive.
If you have Koi, koi farms use sodium thiosulfate. The price is $5.50 for 500g bottle that make 10 gal solution to treat 250,000 gal tap water.

1g/100ml water: 1 drop treat 1 gal (20 drops = ml; 100ml = 2000 drops; treat 2,000 gal of water). A bottle water conditioner cost $3 for 40 gal. 1g sodium thiosulfate = 50 bottles ($150 whereas 1g sodium thiosulfate cost 1.1 cent ($0.011).
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #10 
Geomancer

Yes, buying in bulk will be cheaper.

Just like buying bulk fertalizers is cheaper than buying the pre-mixed for aquatic plants.

The question just becomes, is the savings worth the work?

If your water is treated with chlorine, you could just let it sit for 24 hours and pay nothing, but keeping barrels of water around is not practicle ;)

I don't think you'll find many who DIY on this one. You can buy Prime up to a 20L bottle, which is enough for 200,000 gallons of water. You'll have to buy that online though, no pet store will likely sell that large of a bottle due to how much space it takes up (a little over 5 gallons).

There is nothing wrong with doing it yourself, it's just not practicle for most.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote