Citrusy

Dropsy??

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A female betta. They are separated by a divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta min and freeze dried blood worms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta spa or a regular dechlorinater. My water comes from a well though, it's not city water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have not tested the water, I tested last week and everything was in the normal range. I ran out of test strips and haven't had a chance to pick up more.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His face and gills are swollen and he has started to pine cone.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has been lethargic, still has an appetite though.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About an hour ago. This morning he was lethargic but not swollen.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I took out his tank mate, and the divider, did a 50% water change, and washed all the plants.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had Ich once but it was cured quickly and that was probably 8 months or more ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 2 years.

I can try to get a better image if needed.
Is there anything I can do at home for him? Besides salt and raise the temperature? I cannot get to a pet store until Tuesday. The closest one is 80 miles away.
Citrusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 
cjconcepcion

can you take a picture from above him so we can see the extent of the pineconing? he also seems bloated :/ im sorry but if he has dropsy for sure then there may be nothing you do for him at this point :/
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #3 
Citrusy

Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 
Citrusy

It's not as bad as some that I have seen but it's definitely not good.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #5 
cjconcepcion

the pineconing isnt too bad... unfortunately i dont know that there is anything you can do for him, he may recover, he may not, the best advice i have is to just make sure he is comfortable in clean water and able to get air easily....
Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #6 
jriley

You might want to contact Oldfishlady. She knows all--if anything can be done, she'll know.
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well.....

Sadly once the symptom of dropsy shows up...it usually mean the system is shutting down and most likely some of the problem is age related as well, however, we don't want to give up too soon, ....It looks like you take great care of your Betta....

I would start a 10-14 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 77-78F (attached to the side so it doesn't sink) and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL (1 large crushed) or Oak leaf (20 crushed) and let this steep for 30min and use this for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.

Tomorrow start 50% daily with the premixed treatment water....
If you used a tannin source it should look darker everyday and this is what you want.

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 
Citrusy

Finn died today. We left the house at 9 am to go run errands and get him epsom salts and a tannin source. But when we got home he was already gone.
Thank you all for your help. At least now I have these on hand in case something else happens.

When Finn got sick we took his tank mate out and put her in a 2.5 gal. But now that he is gone I would like to put her back in the 10 gal. Is the water safe for her? I think I heard dropsy was contagious so I'm a little hesitant to put her back in. Would a 50% water change help? I'm not sure what to do...
Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #9 
cjconcepcion

im sorry to hear of your loss, im not sure how you would go about disinfecting everything, but you would definitley have to take out everything and wash it completely (not with soap whatever you do)
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Since dropsy is a sign/symptom of many different ailments and not a disease itself or even a disease that caused it to start....

IMO-since this is an established cycled tank....I would make a 50% water change with vacuum for a couple of days and filter media cleaning before you add the female back......

You have both good and bad bacteria with some that will always be in the tank and the good that helps keep it controlled....Its the fish immune response that help to prevent problems in most cases......

Sorry for your loss.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote