Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #1 
Maura

How bettas in stores should be kept

20 gallon heated, cycled tank with custom-made dividers. All the fish have some sort of decoration to hide in/behind.

You won't find bettas in cups or bowls in my store. My boss just built an identical tank so we can have more bettas!
Attached Images

Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #2 
mattoboy

*Drools*
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 
kfryman

The problem with a system like that is a disease outbreak, if you get something like dropsy, your bettas are pretty much done as it is almost always a losing battle. Separate containers with water running through slowly and not reused would actually be best.

It is a nice system, but unless it is a small store a chain store would probably not do it. I really do hope though that bettas are kept in something much better.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #4 
Maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
The problem with a system like that is a disease outbreak, if you get something like dropsy, your bettas are pretty much done as it is almost always a losing battle. Separate containers with water running through slowly and not reused would actually be best.

It is a nice system, but unless it is a small store a chain store would probably not do it. I really do hope though that bettas are kept in something much better.
That's what we have the fishpital for. We do not sell sick fish.
(Also, since dropsy isn't actually a disease, and someone is with the fish from 10-6 every day, something would be done before it got that far.)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #5 
Stonehenge

I really like the looks of that. It would be safer (disease wise) if the dividers were not permeable at all. Not saying that those ones are but I just cant tell from the pics.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #6 
bettasareawesome

That would be really nice. The problem is like someone earler said, disease that could end up really bad. Also those cups there usually stored in are pretty clean in the stores I've been in. Also they are just temporary homes. But I do agree that would be really cool if every store was like that.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 
Ginzuishou

It's good in that it shows customers that Betta Fish actually utilize larger spaces.

Not long ago, I thought you had to keep a Betta in a tiny little bowl.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #8 
Maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasareawesome View Post
That would be really nice. The problem is like someone earler said, disease that could end up really bad. Also those cups there usually stored in are pretty clean in the stores I've been in. Also they are just temporary homes. But I do agree that would be really cool if every store was like that.
Those store cups may look clean, but the ammonia is through the roof.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 
Thomasdog

Do you guys realize what you are saying??? This is SO much better than bettas being kept in a tiny bowl. They have a good system running, and even if there is an outbreak of disease, the employees can hopefully treat it before it kills everything. THIS IS GREAT!!! :D
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #10 
lelei

I would love to see Betta's housed like that, which is essentially how other fish are, in a big tank..all together, the only difference, is the divider, to keep em separate, so they won't fight!! Love that Idea:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote