Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #1 
magnum

Clamped Fins?

About Four days ago, I went to my LFS and fell in love with a little white (soon to be purple) male! I went over to his cup and inspected the conditions. While the water was fine he seemed a little lifeless, but I assumed that was because of the small space he had to live in.

On the way home, I observed him and he also seemed fine, if anything a little bit more happy in his small bag than the cup. I should probably say now that he is only small, so I am assuming that he is younger than my two other males. On adjusting him to the new tank and letting the filter cycle run, he still seemed lifeless. I fed him 3 pellets of Hikariusa Bio Gold Floating Pellets and he ate them fine.

The next day he was sitting midway between the tank and while my other males had a flaring match at there reflection in the betta mirrors, he didn't flare and his fins remained clamped together. I also noticed that he dosn't move his caudal fin, anal fin and dorsal fin. They seem stuck together. I also noticed that at the ends they seem to be more stuck than at the bases.

I am worried that my little Ace has either Clamped fins or fin melt. I've been hesitant to add anything to the the water as is only new to the aquarium and I don't want to stress him out to much. I'm not sure if this is something to do with his young age or if it is very serious. Also he is in a divided tank

Any help would be appreciated, as I am new to betta keeping and I don't want to lose my precious little boy!

magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Give him some time Tis is day two in new surroundings!! Have him away from stress-related activity, such as other bettas for now, and let him loosen up. How warm is your water? Warmer water (78-80) is great and helps a lot.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #3 
magnum

Okay (: I put him in a tank by himself so he can feel more relaxed (: my heater stuffed itself the day I got them .... Sigh so I'm currently just using a heat lamp (: thanks for the advice!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Plus it is always good to quarantine ^^
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote