Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 
labloverl

I bought a live plant... now what?

I bought a small anubias at petsmart. What do I do now? Should I put it in my cycled 10 gallon that's divided 3 ways or the 5 gallon that I'm trying to cycle? Do I need to put it in a tank right away. It came in a tube. Should I have a certain light schedule? I normally turn the light on at 4 in the afternoon, and turn it off at 9 at night. What do anubias need? Do I bury them in the gravel or tie it to something. I don't have any driftwood. THis is my 10 gallon.

labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 
Silverfang

IT depends on the type of plant. If you don't know you could post a picture of it and hopefully someone can ID it.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #3 
NeoViking

I love anubias ^__^ it's so versatile!
Buts very slow growing! don't worry if it doesn't look like it's growing, it is! just at a very slow pace! (its when the leaves go brown you worry)

It's completely up to you how you choose to plant it.
Anubias can either be planted in the gravel or tied with a piece of cotton to a rock or piece of drift wood and will grow quite happily either way.
I use the stuff in my cichlid tank tied to an upright piece of bogwood (I tried to make it look like a tree and failed) but it's been quite successful growing this way.
Anubias also doesn't require a tonne of light, just stick to what ever routine you already have and it'll be fine.
I only keep my lights on for 5hours day or less and my plants are doing very well (:

Anubias is actually a really good plant for bettas ^^ I put some in my female's tank and she loves hiding between the leaves.
I planted it in the sand in her tank cause she doesn't have any wood or rocks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I don't throw plant food or anything into my tanks, I just let em grow.
Plant food will help them to flourish but it's not mandatory for this plant, it'll just feed off the nutrients in the tank.
I believe it should be ok in a new tank, it might not thrive while there's no fish but it shouldn't die either.

Last edited by NeoViking; 09-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 
labloverl

THanks for the responses!

Silverfang, it just says anubias nana on the tube...

NeoViking, can you see the rainbow cave in the right section of the tank? That is about the only thing I have for it to grow on. It's not driftwood or rock, it's just an aquarium decoration. Would it attach to it?

Do I just rinse it off and put it in? Warm or cold water while rinsing?

I don't plan on putting plant food in either. I picked this plant out because I heard it's great for beginners!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Most of my plants are Anubias...small, medium and large and long-leaf (longifolia from Petsmart). Practically maintenance-free. Don't need or want too much light.

Do NOT bury the rhizome (the thick part that the leaves and roots come out of).

Wash that gel out with cold water and either tie it to a rock or let it float. Makes great floating Betta hammocks.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would check it very well for snails before putting it in the tank. You will love having live plants in the tank I love mine, I have Hornwort and Anacharis both floating the Hornwort on top of the water surface and the Anacharis floats at the bottom.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 
labloverl

Okay, it's floating right now until I can find some fishingline to tie it to the rainbow thing.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #8 
Silverfang

oh anubis! easy, don't need bright light, and can be left to float. I've found many a nest under the leaves.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #9 
NeoViking

It'll grow on anything, if you want it attached to the rainbow cave that shouldn't be a problem (: it'll still root.
I'd personally wash it first, as Perseusmom said snails can be a bother so it'll get the eggs and snails off the plant if any.
Give it a rinse in some warm water, give the leafs a little rub with your thumb just to make sure there's no snails eggs and then tie it to the cave or just drop it in the tank.
It'll take a while but you'll see it rooting soon enough (:
NeoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

I would quarantine it in tap water for at least a week before putting it anywhere.. JMO...
I had an anubias nana and tied it to decor. It grew really fast.
It would be good in the tank you are currently cycling because plants help the process.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote