Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 
GarrettUkie

Help! Betta Has Mouth & Eye Fungus?

My Betta fish has a white fungus around his face and I dont know what to do!

I have a 10 gallon tank with a mail half moon betta, 8 neon tetras, 4 snails, 3 african dwarf frogs, and a spotted cory catfish. I got two loaches from petsmart a few days ago and they both died in the first day of being in the tank. Petsmart had a power outage for 4 days because of the weather and they may have got some type of disease or stress from that. So I returend them the next day and then later that night one of my catfish was dead. Now today my betta has a weird white foam around his mouth and over his eyes. Hes not moving much and keeps laying on the bottom of the tank. I have had him for a year almost and would hate to see him go.

I just did a full water change after the loaches were taken out. I dont keeps tabs on the pH but I do put the chlorine solution in for the tap water. I also have a filter that runs constantly in the tank and I just changed that also.

Petsmart told me to go get some type of Triple Salsa solution for the tank. I have seen other solutions on the forum that people use. I uploaded a picture! Please Help!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by GarrettUkie; 07-09-2012 at 11:40 AM.
GarrettUkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems......

This is the main reason its a good idea to QT new fish........

Right now-I would get the Betta out of the tank and into a small QT container and start high dose aquarium salt treatment for 10 day....

Treating the main tank is going to be more of a challenge since those species can be sensitive to both salt and many medication...Right now I would keep doing daily 50% water changes and get the water temp in the low normal...76-77F

For the Betta only-
Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or dried Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min so that the tannins will start to release and salt to dissolve....Shake well

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour on the Betta in the Qt container-today-this will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment.

He needs to stay in the covered QT in this treatment water for the duration of the 10 day treatment period.
Temp 76-77F-float (attached so not to sink) in the heated tank if needed.

If you added a tannin source-the water should look darker every day

Tomorrow-using the treatment water-make 50% daily water changes for the next 9 days to complete a full 10 days of treatment.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-If you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed for 1 meal a day.

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote