Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Moss Ball, or not? Snail names?
Get a moss ball :D 10 58.82%
Dont get a moss ball :D 0 0%
Snail name: Zebreika :D 3 17.65%
Snail name: Speedy :D 3 17.65%
Snail Name: Gary ( Spongebob) or Carl :) 6 35.29%
Other snail name (POST REPLY PLESASE) :) 3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Talking Getting Marimo Moss Ball and Nerite Snail Today!!! Names?

Hey everybody,

WARNING: Alot of questions to follow.....and um...excitedness?(is that a word?????...)

So today, after a week or two of deciding whether to get a Nerite snail, i have decided to get one (although Honeycomb has been in that tank for almost 2 years, we will see how that goes)!!!!! Any ideas for names? I will be getting it in a couple of hours. I already have a large amount of alage growing in the tank for it, along with alage wafers. I was thinking about adding shrimp also, but have decided it would stress my Betta because of all the new tankmates. I will be going to Petco, because my Petsmart does not carry Nerite snails. I was thinking about a moss ball (i have a 10 gal.) , but i have NEVER had live plants, and NEVER use my aquarium light because the tank is next to a window(yah i know, stupid me). Would it benefit my tank, snail and betta? Would it serve the same purpose of ridding the water of nitrates like other aquatic plants? I really just like the look of it, but i am also curious what i could do to my tank. Also, how would you introduce it? Do you have to do any matnence on it?

Thanks everybody, I am SO excited!!!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #2 
Sprinkles55

Carl the snail sounds interesting to me :)

Adding on a question to this post, I'm getting marimo balls and was wondering if having a nerite snail with the marimo moss ball would be alright?
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I got my moss balls from ebay..they are small so I got three of them. I soaked them for a week in tap water and for a couple of days alot of dirt did come out of them so I think its a good idea to soak them after you get them before adding them to the tank. I just added mine a few days ago and I dont get to much light, just and over head ceiling light and little natural sunlight coming in though the window. I dont turn on the hood light cause its been so hot here and dont want to over heat the water. Anyway they are still looking good. Perseus checks them out every now and then so cute !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkles55 View Post
Carl the snail sounds interesting to me :)

Adding on a question to this post, I'm getting marimo balls and was wondering if having a nerite snail with the marimo moss ball would be alright?
Cute! I have the exact same question...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

UPDATE: I wil be getting the snail and the moss ball tomorrow -still not sure about moss ball
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I got my moss balls from ebay..they are small so I got three of them. I soaked them for a week in tap water and for a couple of days alot of dirt did come out of them so I think its a good idea to soak them after you get them before adding them to the tank. I just added mine a few days ago and I dont get to much light, just and over head ceiling light and little natural sunlight coming in though the window. I dont turn on the hood light cause its been so hot here and dont want to over heat the water. Anyway they are still looking good. Perseus checks them out every now and then so cute !
Thanks, a lot of great info!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A single moss ball will not do an amazing job at absorbing toxins. It will be better than nothing, but you may not even notice a change.
They should be fine in your light though!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
A single moss ball will not do an amazing job at absorbing toxins. It will be better than nothing, but you may not even notice a change.
They should be fine in your light though!
Thanks! How should i acclimate them? Should i keep them in the cup they come in and then "quarantine" the moss ball??
Any special care? Thanks!

SO excited!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If it's in a cup, I wouldn't bother QTing it. I never acclimate plants (though apparently some people do). I just throw everything in. The only thing I do before is run everything under the tap in not hot/not cold water. But that's usually to get rid of snails, so again, in a cup it may not matter.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
If it's in a cup, I wouldn't bother QTing it. I never acclimate plants (though apparently some people do). I just throw everything in. The only thing I do before is run everything under the tap in not hot/not cold water. But that's usually to get rid of snails, so again, in a cup it may not matter.
Thanks! I can't wait!

Tags
marimo moss ball, moss ball, nerite snail, nitrates