Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #1 
ashyq

Need Help with Filter on 10 Gallon.

This weekend I upgraded to a 10 gallon tank. It's a tank that I got from my brother who had goldfish in it and needed to get a bigger tank. He had it with this filter http://www.petco.com/product/12460/T...escription-tab

I'm worried that it's too strong, especially since he was using it for goldfish(I think its the 10i model). I tried baffling with the waterbottle trick, but I might need to redo that since there seems to still be a good amount of flow. Are there any other tricks?

Also, is there any way to cover or lower the intake of the slits on the bottom? I've turned it off because my female betta got sucked against it. She escaped on her own but I'm worried about something worse happening when I'm not home.

Right now my female is the only one in the tank but I want to eventually either have a sorority or other compatible fish in it so I'd like to have a filter going.
ashyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 
Goldibug

I would invest in a sponge filter or look into making one. They're the safest for bettas especially if you can't slow the flow of the stronger ones.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #3 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyq View Post
This weekend I upgraded to a 10 gallon tank. It's a tank that I got from my brother who had goldfish in it and needed to get a bigger tank. He had it with this filter Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filters at PETCO

I'm worried that it's too strong, especially since he was using it for goldfish(I think its the 10i model). I tried baffling with the waterbottle trick, but I might need to redo that since there seems to still be a good amount of flow. Are there any other tricks?

Also, is there any way to cover or lower the intake of the slits on the bottom? I've turned it off because my female betta got sucked against it. She escaped on her own but I'm worried about something worse happening when I'm not home.

Right now my female is the only one in the tank but I want to eventually either have a sorority or other compatible fish in it so I'd like to have a filter going.
OK you can place a sponge filter over the intake pipe to keep your fish from getting sucked into it, also make sure the sponge is big enough so that there is no way that there will be a siphon effect that sucks your fish onto it. Second the intake tube should be removable by lifting it up, the trick is to lift the tube up slightly to reduce the amount of suction it has and if you get it just right this should reduce your flow. Another option is to take the intake pipe to a hardware store and find a pvc plumbing T valve and then you can control the flow. If the pipe is square not round then the first option is probably your best bet.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
masustic

I have that same filter in my 10 gallon. I have found that filling the tank up to the lip of the outlet reduces current and my betta seems to do fine. He actually swims over to the little slits and lays aginst the intake,the first time I saw him do this i freaked out and went in to get him but he just swam away lol. At least a couple times a day I see him just hanging out there being held there by the water flow haha!he loves it. but as far as the flow of the filter I have found that the water level of your tank has a lot to do with it!
masustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #5 
ashyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by masustic View Post
I have that same filter in my 10 gallon. I have found that filling the tank up to the lip of the outlet reduces current and my betta seems to do fine. He actually swims over to the little slits and lays aginst the intake,the first time I saw him do this i freaked out and went in to get him but he just swam away lol. At least a couple times a day I see him just hanging out there being held there by the water flow haha!he loves it. but as far as the flow of the filter I have found that the water level of your tank has a lot to do with it!
I'll try the trick with filling it up more. Are you sure you fish isn't getting stuck though? when mine went against the intake she was trying to wriggle free and luckily managed to do it before I grabbed her.

For the people mentioning the sponge filter, would that work with my filter? it doesn't have an intake tube like a normal filter. it just has slits at the bottom that intake water.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #6 
goldfishyman

Sorry I didn't look at the link earlier. You can get some foam and wrap it around the slits. You can also cover some of the slits to reduce the intake.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #7 
ashyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Sorry I didn't look at the link earlier. You can get some foam and wrap it around the slits. You can also cover some of the slits to reduce the intake.
Okay I'll give that a shot!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I think with the tetra filter you can also take out the cartridge and replace it with filter foam - which would not only reduce the flow but help with biological and mechanical filtration as well. Plus the foam will last alot longer then the cartridge will. I use foam for AQUACLEAR filters.

Wait..are you trying to baffle the outflow or reduce the intake flow?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #9 
CallmeAustin

Am I missing something or does that filter in the link say up to three gallons? And you're using a 10 gallon?
CallmeAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #10 
LaLaLeyla

To be honest most goldfish like current in their water. You're probably fine without baffling it.

:EDIT: Oops sorry I thought you were talking goldfish not bettas. Sorry. x'D
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote