Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #1 
BubbiBubba

Arrow Peas: Good vs. Bad???

Quick question! Are peas very bad for betta fish? I've been treating my fish with blanched pea halves & quarters, & it has been working well with his belly! I don't have any live daphnia nearby, but I would love to! I know that helps with bloating... So, back to the real ? --- I read somewhere on this website that peas damaged betta's digestive system & shortened life spans... What do you think?

All help is worshiped & appreciated!

Xoxo
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Using green Pea pieces on occasion for constipation is not harmful to a Betta IMO/E.......However, you don't want to feed Pea as part of the staple diet due to poor nutrition.

Also, you don't want to confuse normal full tummy with bloat, constipation...etc...and treat needlessly......That is with any type/method of treatment for any condition......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #3 
Goldibug

Totally off topic but OFL could I have a copy of your profile pic? It's such a beautiful betta and I love to collect betta photos.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldibug View Post
Totally off topic but OFL could I have a copy of your profile pic? It's such a beautiful betta and I love to collect betta photos.
I don't mind...this is one of my offspring from last summer outside spawns and the happy father of 8 different spawns this year...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 
Goldibug

Is there a link to his babies as well? I wish I could afford a quality bred betta. They are so beautiful!
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #6 
Sakura8

There's definitely a myth going around that feeding peas will like kill your betta instantly. While using daphnia or brine shrimp to help relieve constipation is a better choice if you have access to those foods (frozen or live), feeding a pea will not harm your betta.

However, it's important to follow a few tips when using pea. One is if you are using frozen bagged peas, look for "NO SALT ADDED." Bettas don't need the extra sodium. Another is to blanch the pea well. To do this, put the pea in a small container of water and microwave it for 30 seconds. Then submerge it in ice water for a minute. After that, peel off the outer shell and take a tiny piece that is no bigger than a pellet from the inner part of the pea.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #7 
Kim

Honestly, I've never had an issue feeding peas occasionally for constipation, and they always seem to work well. I don't see any reason why they'd be harmful when fed in moderation...to a carnivore they're basically just indigestible fiber.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #8 
craiger75

Yeah, I asked that same question when I first joined and got a stern lecturing NOT to use peas. I think only as a last resort, after you've exhausted your other options.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Yeah, and since pellet food is already chock full of indigestible fiber (wheat meal), peas are no different. The key word, as Kim said, is moderation.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #10 
BubbiBubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Yeah, and since pellet food is already chock full of indigestible fiber (wheat meal), peas are no different. The key word, as Kim said, is moderation.
Thank you! I shall keep that in mind. I don't feed Bubba peas unless he is bloated, which I understand is very different from just being well fed! Although, since you brought up that whole "pellet food is...full of...fiber" stuff, how come we don't just keep feeding bettas pellets even when they're bloated? Maybe because it's dry, so it wouldn't help? Unless you soaked it prior to feeding...

Not all pellet food must be soaked before feedng, right?

& since you are a moderator, can you tell me how I could directly reply to a commenter? Unless you quote them, how can they know that you have responded unless they keep checking back on this website???

Thanks to any responders!
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, betta fish, betta fish food, damage, peas