Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 
hannguyen

Unhappy My betta is sick;-( please help

Hi everyone,

I have Biscuit for more than a week. He seemed fine until yesterday he started to be lazy and he seems sick. He just slept all day behind the heater and didn't move. When he inhales there were bubbles coming out of his mouth and gills. He's sometimes swims vertically and just float slowly. He would swim a little bit but then just go into the spongebob house and stay in there without moving. He is in a 1 gal bowl since I'm in college and hasnt got enough money to get him a 5 gals yet. This is his diet
Mon: omega 1 flakes
Tue: bio gold pellets
Wed: bloodworms
Thursday: flakes
Friday: pellets
Sat: pea
Sun: fast

I also change water every other day and I started out aquarium salt in there along with the conditioning. He ate this morning but after getting back from work. I tried to feed him a bloodworm and he ate it but spit it out.

Can anyone please help ;-( thank you
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 
hannguyen

I couldn't flip this but it's supposed to be side-way. He was vertical

Name:  IMG_0820[1].jpg
Views: 95
Size:  41.1 KB

When he swims there is one of his fins pointing out like this

Name:  IMG_0822[1].jpg
Views: 96
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

Firstly, a pea for a betta isn't good. They can't digest plant matter very well since they are carnivores.

Secondly, try giving him a water change (no salt) and rinse his bowl with HOT water. Then fill it with lukewarm and acclimate him after conditioning it. (Make sure the temp doesn't go over 83 degrees). Do this every other day for a week. It should perk him up a bit.

I love the varied diet you're giving him. Very good idea.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 
hannguyen

Does he looks like he has problems? He has a little white under his head but i think it's his natural color/skin.. So should i feed him pea at all? I heard that it helps with there digest system. He's sitting behind the heater and sleeping now. He's been doing this for 3 days and I'm getting very worried. There are no symptoms that can match any disease.

And thank you very much !!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

It's hard to tell...try nudging him and see how he reacts. I don't know what could cause this, since you're doing water changes and have a heater for him...maybe something is wrong with the water?

A pea shouldn't be fed at all. Feeding a pea is actually used for a different species of fish to help with constipation, but it causes more harm than good with bettas.

The white spot could be part of his coloring, could be his slime coat helping to heal a damaged scale, or could be something else. If the water is clean and it goes away, then you won't have to worry about it....but if it gets bigger you will have to start the AQ salt treatment.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 
hannguyen

So I change the water with no salt. He started to get like this after i fed him
Pea and put salt in his water. So i dont know if it's the salt or the pea. But I heard that salt helps prevent fungal and bacterial problems. If I want to put it in should I do like 25% then 50% then 75% then 100% water change with the salt in it over 4 weeks to get him acclimate.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #7 
Kenny G

The aquarium salt can start to work against him if you use it to often and not in the proper doses. I personally never recommend aq salt. I would detox your fish from the salt and keep your betta in warmer water and doing water changes. Using aquarium salt to often will lower your betta's immune system to fight off germs and in turn will cause health issues.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 
hannguyen

Alrighty. I changed the water and have the temperature at 80. He was swimming when I left for class tonight so hopefully he will be better. Otherwise should I get him some medicine ?