Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 
michbelle

Squirt & Co.

Hey there guys! I've decided that I want tankmates for squirt my "baby" betta. He's grown quiiite a bit but he's still a small bugger and his personality has truly developed into a feisty one. I don't think he's aggressive though but I will certainly find that out when I put a friend in there for him. He's in a 5 gallon tank all by himself with a couple of silk plants in it. No live plants for any of my fish. The substrate in his and all my tanks are small river rocks, not gravel sized but maybe small pebble sized. Half an inch big or maybe a bit smaller, I think. His tank is heated and it's 76 degrees usually. I clean it 25% every three days.

So I've made a thread before and I know that my only snail choice that is ideal for me and my preferences is a single nerite for the five gallon tank. How many ghost shrimp would be okay instead? Also are there any other types of shrimp that I may be able to get a hold of in the US that would be compatible with his tank?
michbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 
Goldibug

Seeing that this is an old post and you've probably already tried something I'm still going to answer :blush: Red cherry shrimp can also be good tank mates but because they are more visible then the glass/ghost shrimp you'll need to make sure there are plenty of good hiding places for them.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 
michbelle

No need to blush, hehe. I'm glad you answered because I didn't try a single thing yet I wanted some feedback first. Ooh I really like the look of red cherry shrimp but I also was wondering how many? Maybe one or two? Also about their diets do I need those algae wafer things for them? And thank you so much for answering. I never thought this would be responded to.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 
Goldibug

I've read up to 10 can be kept in a 5 gallon with a betta. You'll want to he sure your betta is mellow and will except tank mates. Testing the waters first with ghost shrimp would be ideal because they are super cheap and if they get eaten it will be about $0.30 a shrimp or similar. That way you'll know how your betta reacts to others in the tank. If he does well then look into the cherry shrimp. Here's a short link on what they eat. http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/article...mp-feeding.php
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #5 
michbelle

Thanks a lot. I'll definitely try out the ghost shrimp thing first. I appreciate the response it's definitely helped me.