Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 
BarefootPixie

Gill is held open?

I just got Oberon a few weeks ago. When I got him he had been kept in really gross water at the pet store and had popeye and one swollen gill and later developed a very mild case of fin rot, and I treated him successfully with Maracyn and a rooibos tea/Epsom salt bath. He's been swimming and eating normally and building bubble nests, but I just noticed about a half hour ago that his gills were open but he wasn't flaring. Right now they are both open, but one of them is protruding a LOT and he appears to be breathing heavily out of just that gill. He's still acting otherwise normal. Here's a picture.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon color enhancing betta food and live daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning and a couple daphnia or another 2 pellets in the evening

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
Not tested lately

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gill swelling only
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? occasional heavy breathing, but otherwise no change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, slightly swollen gill and popeye, very mild fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months maybe?

I think some of it might be stress, since I just got back from vacation and I had taken him with me (I didn't trust anyone else to properly care for my little fishy!) Could it be that he's upset from the car ride and that triggered it?
BarefootPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

Have you tried making him flare and see if it folds back up? I can't tell from here, but the gill doesn't look torn or anything, does it?
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 
BarefootPixie

I did try making him flare when they were just slightly open, but then it got to the way it is now. :( It doesn't look torn to me, but it's kinda hard to see for me too.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 
BarefootPixie

I thought maybe he might have something stuck in his gill, but it doesn't look like it. I don't think it's flukes either. :/ Maybe he caught it on something?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #5 
goldfishyman

My fish started to have what looked like was bladder disease. He stopped eating floated on his side. It looked pretty grave, he would try to eat but then spit the food right back out. I put him in a half gallon jar, added 5 pieces of rock salt and some black water extract. Also added in some ammolock and guess what dropped off him. A large fluke. The next day he started eating and by the 2nd day he was back to normal with no more swimming issues.

It didn't take long for the fluke to drop off. I did add another couple pieces of rock salt later in the day. I found small little round things in the water, probably eggs. I decided to clean jar yesterday. I pretty much put him in the same type of water. I just want to make sure it all dies. I'll probably have to do this to 2 other fish because they were together in a partitioned tank previously.

I could not see the fluke in the gills and this one was huge. The funny thing is the fluke was the same color as my yellow double tail. I would try the salt as the flukes have a hard time crossing over to salt water. In a salt water fish you could put your fish in fresh water and have similar results killing the flukes. Not sure how effective this is on the eggs so a full clean up of the tank is probably a good idea. His old tank is sitting high and dry. To make sure everything is dead. I also washed it out with HOT water.

Last edited by goldfishyman; 07-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #6 
BarefootPixie

Well he's still acting completely normal- no lethargy, greeting me when I come in the room, eating like a pig, begging for food, etc. It's like there's absolutely nothing wrong with him except the gill being open so I'm pretty sure it's not flukes, although I could be wrong. :/ He's not even breathing heavily anymore but the gill is still open. I am going to try a little salt and some tannins though so maybe that will help.

Tags
gill disease, gill swelling