Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 
Chrexis

Driftwood help?

So I have been boiling my driftwood for about an hour now, and I was curious at what else I should do? I've looked up information but I also want to hear it from you guys and gals. Any tips, information would be appreciated!

-Thank you!
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #2 
Meggie6347

Sounds like you're doing it right! Just let it soak now for a little while (or until it sinks)!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #3 
Chrexis

So what if has already sunken, will I be okay to put it in my tanks? And what would the benefits of the tannins be on the water/fish/plants?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #4 
Aus

Yup, it'll be fine to put in.

The tannins darken the water and soften it, too, a bit, which bettas like.

I put a few shrimp in my tank with the mopani wood, because even boiled it can grow some fuzzy gunk on it which shrimps just happen to love to eat. Ofc, my betta likes to eat shrimp, but if they have hidey places they aren't munched on all at once.

Don't worry if it grows gunk, it comes off easily enough with a gravel vac/baster and eventually stops, as do the tannins. My water was really dark at first, and the wood was positively furry but a few months later there's barely enough for the shrimp to eat so I supplement them with shrimp pellets now and then.

I prefer shrimp (RCS) to snails for this, as they have a very low bioload.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 
Chrexis

I have currently 1 MTS per 5.5 and there is two in total. We HAD RCS but the bettas enjoyed their expensive meal T.T. So after tonight I will soak it until my Anubias Barteri comes in the mail and will put it in tied to it, thank you again Aus for the help in another one of mu perdicaments.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 
Twilight Storm

I have mopani wood in my tanks, One piece of it grew a strange whiteish spider web type mold (?)... Like a wolf spider would build his little web cave, but flat across areas of the wood. none of my other pieces had this same stuff. (most was like greyish hairy mold stuff, which I guess is ok, because it finally went away for me.)

In that tank I had little white bugs hatch. They attacked the plants I had in that tank too.

Just wanted to share that experience so you can watch for the thick webs. I would say if you see flat spider web things appearing on your wood take it out and rinse it off, but again it could have been coincidence. The white bugs might not have come from the web things, they may have just liked eating them or something. I had to take that tank down and completely redo it to get rid of the bugs.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote