Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 
bettaboytroy

Is garlic beneficial to betta's?

I've heard if a betta is not eating sometimes soaking the food in garlic may stimulate their appetite. I recently received a catalogue on the mail with various aquatic merchandise. I noticed there were concentrates you can buy (Garlic Extreme and Garlic guard) which I believe are actually for marine fish. The products claim to be antioxidants and strengthen resistance to parasites, fungi, and bacteria. Would soaking food in a homemade garlic solution be beneficial, harmful or neither to betta's? I'm always looking for ways to increase the health of my fish and was wondering if dipping live blackworms in a garlic water solution occasionally would be a "vitamin boost" for them. Kinda like us drinking orange juice when we get the sniffles. Or is garlic more of a marine fish thing? Thanks.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I think it's more of a marine fish thing. Garlic juice is just for enhancing the smell and taste to make a fish eat it if it's picky or sick.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 
lelei

There is a sticky on here regarding the danger of Live BlackWorms,.you may want to check that out, in case you are thinking of feeding those type of worms.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 
bettaboytroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
There is a sticky on here regarding the danger of Live BlackWorms,.you may want to check that out, in case you are thinking of feeding those type of worms.
Yeah, I've seen it. They are used as treats(Approx 2 every 3rd day). I have not had any problems with them and feel the positives outweigh the negatives. Thanks for pointing it out though!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 
bettaboytroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I think it's more of a marine fish thing. Garlic juice is just for enhancing the smell and taste to make a fish eat it if it's picky or sick.
Thanks, if this is the case I don't have to worry about having to smell garlic on my hands then.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

This is the food I use it seems like its real good stuff in it along with garlic and Perseus loves it, the only thing is it doesnt float much and you really have to watch to make sure your Betta catches it I just try and drop it right in front of him and that works fairly well he always gets it.

New Life Spectrum Betta Formula - 60 g.

New Life Spectrum food is made with high quality, easily digestible South Antarctic krill, herring, and several all-natural color-enhancing ingredients for a balanced diet that boosts immune system function and enhances the full spectrum of your fish's color. With the belief that all fish require a complete and fully balanced varied diet, New Life also contains algae meal, that consists of seaweed, kelp and Haematococcus pluvialis, a premium grade of natural spirulina, as well as a fruit and vegetable extract that consists of spinach, red and green cabbage, peas, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya and peach. All New Life Spectrum products also contain generous amounts of garlic and Thera A formulas contain a mega-dose of this natural anti-parasitic ingredient. Betta Formula comes in a 60-gram jar.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Garlic is a natural antibiotic and anti parasitic. Parasites can be a big problem with bettas, so it is better to have it in their food.

+1 to New Life Spectrum
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I use Garlic Guard. It makes it so much easier.

Garlic has allicin, which is a very beneficial antioxidant. It reduces damage from free radicals, helps cardiovascular health and helps boost the immune system, among other things. It supposedly is an effective antiparasitic but studies are currently inconclusive on that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Just read about how great garlic is!

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/garlic-000245.htm
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I know some trainers even feed garlic cloves to racehorses to boost their immune system.

*wanders off to get some Italian food*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote