Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #11 
craiger75

Yeah, I've read soaking the pellets in garlic too. Personally, I've tried it and it didn't work.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #12 
Sakura8

I have to admit I have had limited success with the garlic juice too. But I have also usually only tried it when the fish was sick and he probably wasn't going to eat no matter what anyway. It works for most everyone else.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

I do try to feed all of my fish the NLS food because it does contain a bit of garlic, and as Sakura said, parasites can be a major problem. Garlic will also work to repel mosquitoes and ticks from humans. I always make sure to have a good Italian meal before I go into the woods. Ticks and mosquitoes hate me.

Instead of buying the fancy garlic extract, I would just feed NLS instead. The only reason I would add extra garlic to the food of a fish is if I suspected a parasite infection.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #14 
Sakura8

NLS Thera Formula has even more garlic than their regular formula. I tried to feed it to my bettas but it sank too fast. :( Oh wait. That was the Ocean Nutrition. That's right. My fish hated the Thera Formula. I have picky, picky fish.

In my opinion, NLS is one of the best brands out there.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I do try to feed all of my fish the NLS food because it does contain a bit of garlic, and as Sakura said, parasites can be a major problem. Garlic will also work to repel mosquitoes and ticks from humans. I always make sure to have a good Italian meal before I go into the woods. Ticks and mosquitoes hate me.

Instead of buying the fancy garlic extract, I would just feed NLS instead. The only reason I would add extra garlic to the food of a fish is if I suspected a parasite infection.
I am actually the one that said parasites are a huge problem, lol.

But, again, +1 to NLS
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Garlic is one of our super foods... It is literally the single most all round, all powerful ingredient in the herbal medicine cabinet. Garlic in your diet regularly is one of the best things you can do for your body, it's really a true miracle, it will aid in pretty much all your systems in a positive manner. All members of this family, leek, onion, etc have the same effect, but garlic is the strongest.
That said, I'm sure fed regularly to fish it's quite similar in effect..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I am actually the one that said parasites are a huge problem, lol.

But, again, +1 to NLS
Derp! I'm sorry. I know I've heard that parasites are a major problem with both fresh and saltwater, but I couldn't quite remember who said it here. Man I'm getting sleepy.

Good thing garlic is one of my mother's favorite ingredients! I love that stuff! But I think I remember hearing that its not good for cats and dogs.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Dogs (and I guess cats) do not react well to these things. Cooked however it seems fine in small amounts, tons of dog treats contain garlic and it is still up for debate whether or not this has long term health effects in such small, cooked amounts.
My favourite is just bread, with a ton of butter, and then extremely finely minced garlic on top. So plain, but so good.

As far as I'm aware, marine formulas are fine for freshwater fish. At least I've been told. I believe there's a lot more high quality marine formulas than freshwater for fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Derp! I'm sorry. I know I've heard that parasites are a major problem with both fresh and saltwater, but I couldn't quite remember who said it here. Man I'm getting sleepy.

Good thing garlic is one of my mother's favorite ingredients! I love that stuff! But I think I remember hearing that its not good for cats and dogs.
It's okay! :)

Yeah I'm glad garlic actually tastes good (to us at least, lol) Except I hate the breath it gives he, haha.

I just switched my betta over to NLS and he attacked it with no hesitation, lol. I feel good about giving him garlic.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #20 
Sakura8

I wonder . . . if I ate enough garlic, would my cats finally stop biting me for the fun of it?