Betta Fish Forum banner

my fish is always on the top of the surface

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BettaPrince 
#1 ·
Other than the nipped fin, it sounds as if the tank he is in is too cold. Most bettas that we see in the hobby, betta splendens, will not do well below about 76F, 25C.
Do you have him in with other fish that might be nipping his tail and making it ragged looking?

#4 ·
ghreed said:
Other than the nipped fin, it sounds as if the tank he is in is too cold. Most bettas that we see in the hobby, betta splendens, will not do well below about 76F, 25C.
Do you have him in with other fish that might be nipping his tail and making it ragged looking?
well i remember putting him with the female and they flare and he runs around for a couple of times then i seperated them then i couple of days later his tail came off jus like that but not all of it though and no i did not put him in cold water and he look pretty skinny even though no matter how much i feed him and do u think the air bladder pop or something??

#5 ·
SST said:
What are your water parameters? How often do you do water changes? When was the last time? How much? What size tan/bowl? Filtered? Heated? Other inhabitants?

Bad water conditions can result in ripped tails.
i jus change his water today and its not to cold and not to hot jus in the middle and the tank is about a size of a mug but little bit bigger and wider thats all do u think anything can happen inside of his organ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.