Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #1 
Aurie

What to do with my baby fishies?

Ok, so I put a post about having baby fishies.. originally I was ecstatic with about 4 babies.. but .. now I have like 25 of em and I only have a 10 gallon tank. I am worried about bio load when they get bigger. (Before you ask, no I can't get a bigger tank right now LOL). This is my WCMM tank and so it sits at about 72 so it's too cold for a betta I think, although I could put a heater in there to keep it at about 76? I think that's the top of the temp range for the white clouds.

A. Should I just euthanise some now?
B. The fish store won't take them, they have a whole tank of about 290384 of them and sell them for 25 cents each and the larger ones for 3/$5 (the ones I bought)
C. I put an ad up on craigslist promoting them for beginner tanks and rain barrels
D. Does anyone (local) want them? I live in Portland, Oregon (sorry I don't ship, I have no idea how, and frankly don't have time)

I probably have about 4-7 weeks before adult hood.. any suggestions would be apprecaited. I got my ghost shrimp because someone told me they would kill em and they have a small bio load, but they aren't touching em. A suggestion about 1 fish that would eat fry but leave the adults alone would be cool. It'd be fed flake food if no fry are in the tank

Last edited by Aurie; 07-10-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Feed the new born fry to your Betta....I raise guppies for this reason.....however, with guppy fry, the Betta seem to only eat the newborn to under a week old...they get too big and too fast really quick.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #3 
Aurie

So I might have found homes for this batch of 25ish fry (some guy with a 100 gallon and someone with a 20 gallon pond) but I'm wondering...

If I just so happened to buy my 4th betta and put him in there... The tank stays about 72-74ish .. warmer in the summer obviously...

Could I put a girly betta in there? I've never owned one and I know they like to be in groups, but would other fish her same size be sufficent? The white clouds are docile and won't even eat their own fry, they just chill at the top of the tank like minnows do.. so no issues with them doing harm to her.. they're about 1.5 inches long (mouth to end of fins)

Suggestions?
Netting every single fry for my other betta tanks is just too tedious, they're farkin tiny.. although I did give both of my new bettas 1 each..

Aurie
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Its not so much that female Betta like to stay in groups-but more that you can keep them in groups in a proper setup.....Female Betta are fine when kept alone...anyway....properly acclimate to the tank and add a female....often the female is a bit faster and can catch the WCMM fry.

A healthy Betta can tolerate those temps IMO/E.....that is the temp mine are at early spring when I first take them outside and a bit cooler if/when it rains...never caused any problems with either adults or nest/eggs/fry......

If you haven't bought the Betta yet.....look for the biggest one that is really active.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote