Betta Fish Forum banner

Need help with platies!

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
They are pooping white/clearish. I know this could be a internal parasite but the poop isn't bubble looking or thin, it looks like normal poop except white/clear. What could this be? I'm feeding them top fin tropical flakes, however they sometimes steal a top fin betta color enchancing pellet.

#2 ·
Are they females? Females tend to re-absorb unused eggs, and that is what white poop can be as - sorta like our female bettas :)

#3 · (Edited)
I haven't been really able to tell. Is there a picture that has the difference between a male and female platy? I think they're both the same gender, but one is smaller and darker so I always thought that was the female and they both have white poop.

EDIT:

Using this picture:

I think they're both females. But they've pooped 3 or 4 times and each time it looks white or clear and it's long and sometimes it has some specks of color in it which I'm hoping is the food.
You can sort of see one of the back tails in this picture

And in this one

Do they look like females to you? Do they red absorb babies that many times?

#4 ·
The male should have a "vent" and female should have a "fan"

male: http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl...w=143&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:81

female: http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl...w=170&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:85

see the fin closest to the caudal on the bottom? Because they are livebearing, the male has the "tube" to stick her with :lol: nicely saying lol.

I will say though I never found it odd for fish to have white poo...if it were stringy, broken up, clear in some parts...I'd worry.

#6 ·
Both are female.

How often do they poop? I mean...3 times a day VS...? They do reabsorb the eggs, not sure how often though (usually when there is no male present they reabsorb them)

How long has their poop been white? Have they been eating okay? Losing weight? Less active?

#8 ·
They could also be adjusting to the new foods. I'd keep an eye on them, if it doesn't change, gets worse, etc you'll need to treat the whole tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.