Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
helms97

i got some decor from the river(:

today i went to the schuylkill river, i got many plants such as: water primerose, hydrilla, fanwort, elodea, curly leaf pondweed, and duckweed. they will look great in my 20 gal! but now here is where the questions come in, i got driftwood that was already sunken at the bottom of one of the side ponds ( i dont know what they are called ). i have power washed it, scrubbed it and boiled it for two hours, is it aquarium safe yet? i also got alot of rocks to make towers and caves and such, but after having them sit in hot water and scrubbing them should i do anything else?

here is the website where i learned all of the plants names: http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/pdfs/agrs110.pdf
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #2 
deso

Quarantine those plants for at least 7 days. They could be carrying parasites and disease. It would probably be better to let that driftwood soak in tap water for the same amount of time, just to make sure that it doesn't have any little nasties on it either.

Clearly you've done your research on the plants, but do a double-check to make sure everything is truly aquatic, or you could have a rather unpleasant situation on your hands in a few months if the plants die and pollute your tank.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Power washed the driftwood? Don't they use chemicals in power-washing? I wouldn't put anything in my tank that had been power washed. A simple boil would have been enough. Aside from that, those plants should be quarantined. One of the reasons why it's not a good idea to bring anything from a body of water to our tanks is the risk of infection. The fish that live out there are much hardier than ours.

Also, you are going to want to be careful with those plants. They might not be able to stand up to the high temperatures commonly found in home aquaria (yes, 78F is pretty high for all but tropical plants). Don't be surprised if some melt.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
helms97

I didnt use chemicals
Posted via Mobile Device
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote