Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
Blake My First
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
What do you think of my water change schedule?

Hi all, I have three bettas in three different set-ups

All unfiltered, unheated (room temp 79-84)
Raphael: CT 2.5g tank (2g filled water) 50% Tuesdays, 90-100% Fridays
Castiel: CT 5g tank (4g filled water) 90-100% Fridays
Clayton: VT 5g tank (4g filled water) 90-100% Fridays

All new water are conditioned tap water and sit out for over a day to acclimate to the same temperature as the tank.

Do you this water change schedule is good, or do you think I shouldn't change the water too much near 100%?

I'm just worried about ammonia&nitrite problem.

If you think I should a filter for each tank, which brand or kind of filter can you suggest? Thanks!
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
battered
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
imo, you should do more water changes, but in smaller amounts each time. I would DEFINITELY recommend a filter. Maybe a small internal one or one of the red sea nano filters (I don't really have experience with filters that small - the only tank I have smaller than a 10g has a built in filter system). That way you wouldn't have to worry about the ammonia/nitrate problem as much with a solid colony of beneficial bacteria. For me, I like to heavily plant my tanks for that extra check in the system.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
The water changes are fine, I don't know why they wouldn't...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
The 2.5 Gallon should be fine. For the 5 Gallons, I think 1 50% a Week should do it. You have an Option to Cycle or not to Cycle. But since your Fish are already in there, it would be harder for you to Cycle because they would have to go through Moderate Amounts of Ammonia.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
An uncycled 5 gallon would have to be the same water changes as the 2.5 gallon pretty much, as they don't have a filter. If you put an adjustable internal filter or a bubble filter in the 5 gallon tanks, it would make you not have to do 100%s on them any more. Though it is your choice.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #6 
Blake My First
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thank you for your advice so far! I ordered on Amazon an Elite Mini Filter for up to 3 gallons. It came yesterday in the mail but I'm hesitant to put a filter but will try tomorrow. I'm afraid any type of filter will blow the sock off of my delicate bettas.

Quote:
Maybe a small internal one or one of the red sea nano filters.
Thanks I have to look into those.

The 5g kit from Walmart came with the 5-15g filter, I believe it will make strong current should I make a baffle from plastic water bottle tubes?

I have to buy another filter for the other 5g tank. I am thinking Hagen AquaClear 5-20g filter will do and use it at the lowest flow.

I forgot to mention that I do have one plant in each tank, different plant in each one.

Moneywort (which my one betta/Castiel hates). Anubias (Raphael loves it), and Java Fern (Clay loves it too). I heard from reading that live plants won't do well in unfiltered, uncycled, 100% water change tank. I imagine from the totally changing the water chemistry. That leads to my other questions.

I have more questions unrelated to water. Any of these should I do, please advice.

1. Live plants vs Silk plants vs Plastic plants
(if uncycled, unfiltered, and if cycled and filtered). I think the live is good for with filters only.

2. Common gravels vs smooth gravels vs polised tiny glass vs marbles.
(if uncycled, unfiltered, and if cycled and filtered)
one tank has marbles right now, the other two has marbles in cups to hold the plants
Are these any good?
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Decorat...dp/B0006JLO14/
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-D...dp/B001B5A6KC/

3. any tip on decorations? as in any good decorations type that are betta safe. It's difficult to find ones that won't damage betta fins.

Quote:
An uncycled 5 gallon would have to be the same water changes as the 2.5 gallon pretty much, as they don't have a filter. If you put an adjustable internal filter or a bubble filter in the 5 gallon tanks, it would make you not have to do 100%s on them any more. Though it is your choice.
I am pretty sure I am going to put filters in, I was afraid at first it will blow my bettas around but need to find one with nice flows.

Quote:
The 2.5 Gallon should be fine. For the 5 Gallons, I think 1 50% a Week should do it. You have an Option to Cycle or not to Cycle. But since your Fish are already in there, it would be harder for you to Cycle because they would have to go through Moderate Amounts of Ammonia.
I could move them to other tanks, I have an empty 5g tank, and 2 empty 10g tanks. (I didn't put them in 10g because one I don't have enough decorations, two it's too big for one betta lol plus I am not a fan of divided tank, if one gets sick then...) I have another filter for the 10g but that's it. I never cycle the tank before but yes it's too late. I did read on how to cycle the tank. DO you think I should? I mean I really want the best possible home for these boys.

Last edited by Blake My First; 06-27-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #7 
kfish
Member
 
kfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake My First View Post
Thank you for your advice so far! I ordered on Amazon an Elite Mini Filter for up to 3 gallons. It came yesterday in the mail but I'm hesitant to put a filter but will try tomorrow. I'm afraid any type of filter will blow the sock off of my delicate bettas.

Thanks I have to look into those.

The 5g kit from Walmart came with the 5-15g filter, I believe it will make strong current should I make a baffle from plastic water bottle tubes?
I baffle my waterfall filter with Fluval filter sponge, because of horror stories about the water bottle. I rubberband it around the filter and into the waterfall like this:


If you get the sponge touching/slightly in the water, there will be next to no current. You can see in the picture that there are no water ripples.

Quote:
1. Live plants vs Silk plants vs Plastic plants
(if uncycled, unfiltered, and if cycled and filtered). I think the live is good for with filters only.
Live plants can do well in an unfiltered tank, but generally only if you're not doing 100% water changes and removing them all the time (meaning, if you have a soil/sand substrate). Adding your new filter would help, as then you could do 2-3 50% changes per week instead of 100% changes and the plants would also have some current flow. Baffles work very well. I would definitely cycle the two 5 gallon tanks and keep the plants in there. A fish-in cycle doesn't hurt the fish if you pay very close attention to the parameters. It will take a long time to cycle (~2 months), however, because you'll be removing almost all of the ammonia all the time. I definitely recommend a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if you do this.

Quote:
2. Common gravels vs smooth gravels vs polised tiny glass vs marbles.
(if uncycled, unfiltered, and if cycled and filtered)
one tank has marbles right now, the other two has marbles in cups to hold the plants
Are these any good?
www.amazon.com/Marina-Decorative-Gravel-1-Pound-Blue/dp/B0006JLO14/
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-D...dp/B001B5A6KC/
Gravel type is entirely up to you, however, be careful that the gravel isn't sharp so it doesn't scrape your betta's fins/body if he goes rummaging around. I prefer smooth stones to err on the side of caution. Marbles work, too! I'm a big fan of marbles and large river pebbles, personally. :P

Quote:
3. any tip on decorations? as in any good decorations type that are betta safe. It's difficult to find ones that won't damage betta fins.
Terracotta pots WITH THE hole plugged (aquarium sealant, jam a rock in there, jam foam in there, bury it). Natural rocks/seashells. Check to see if they will change the pH in the tank by putting a bit of vinegar on them. If it foams, it's no good. Of course, rinse well, afterward, if they're fine to put in the tank. More real plants! Silk plants (glitter/glaze free, of course). Rinsed porcelain coffee mugs/tea cups.

Quote:
I am pretty sure I am going to put filters in, I was afraid at first it will blow my bettas around but need to find one with nice flows.

I could move them to other tanks, I have an empty 5g tank, and 2 empty 10g tanks. (I didn't put them in 10g because one I don't have enough decorations, two it's too big for one betta lol plus I am not a fan of divided tank, if one gets sick then...) I have another filter for the 10g but that's it. I never cycle the tank before but yes it's too late. I did read on how to cycle the tank. DO you think I should? I mean I really want the best possible home for these boys.
You don't have to move anyone, but if you want to cycle all of the tanks you can always move the betta in the 2.5 gallon to the empty 5 gallon. It's up to you, though! I would cycle the tanks, but you don't have to. It just means less work for you.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Less work is a reason to cycle your tank, but not the most important to your fish. Only a cycled tank gives you 0.0ppm ammonia all the time.

Your Hagen Elite mini is an adequate filter even for the 5 gal tanks. The flow is adjustable and it features an air injection system which is a bonus when cycling (bacteria like oxygen).

All it needs to be a great filter is more foam. I've made a foam tube which slips over the outlet and provides about 6 cubic inches of foam, room for your bacteria. The 2 cu.in inside the filter help. And you can fasten more foam by the intake. All this foam cuts down on the current without cutting back on the flow, which the bacteria need.

Remember, you're not cycling a tank, you're cycling a filter.

Last edited by Hallyx; 06-28-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #9 
Blue Fish
Member
 
Blue Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Just got an interesting idea, wondering if it would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Less work is a reason to cycle your tank, but not the most important to your fish. Only a cycled tank gives you 0.0ppm ammonia all the time.

Your Hagen Elite mini is an adequate filter even for the 5 gal tanks. The flow is adjustable and it features an air injection system which is a bonus when cycling (bacteria like oxygen).

All it needs to be a great filter is more foam. I've made a foam tube which slips over the outlet and provides about 6 cubic inches of foam, room for your bacteria. The 2 cu.in inside the filter help. And you can fasten more foam by the intake. All this foam cuts down on the current without cutting back on the flow, which the bacteria need.

Remember, you're not cycling a tank, you're cycling a filter.
So, I've been trying to cycle a tank and it's just been a nightmare...so I decided to go uncycled and be done with it. And they hated the filter...even with the baffle there was a good bit of flow, but I never thought of sponging off the *output* portion...sponged the intake, water-bottled the outtake, now I feel like such an idiot to have not thought of this...

But, then I saw you had posted something that made me start thinking...If it's the filter that's being cycled, could I not just get a bucket of water (fairly good sized, a gallon or two rubbermaid container) fill it with water and fishfood, turn on the filter, and let it cycle that way...Then put the cycled filter into my existing tank with relatively (not 100% change, 50 or 75% changed) water and have a cycled tank, or a *mostly* cycled tank, thus allowing my boys to be stress free during the cycle, and still having a cycled tank? I don't want to buy yet more tanks, but I don't want to attempt putting them through yet another failed fish-in cycle, so might this method work for me? I'd love to get opinions from anyone! :)

Thanks so much!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #10 
Blake My First
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
But, then I saw you had posted something that made me start thinking...If it's the filter that's being cycled, could I not just get a bucket of water (fairly good sized, a gallon or two rubbermaid container) fill it with water and fishfood, turn on the filter, and let it cycle that way...Then put the cycled filter into my existing tank with relatively (not 100% change, 50 or 75% changed) water and have a cycled tank, or a *mostly* cycled tank, thus allowing my boys to be stress free during the cycle, and still having a cycled tank? I don't want to buy yet more tanks, but I don't want to attempt putting them through yet another failed fish-in cycle, so might this method work for me? I'd love to get opinions from anyone! :)

Thanks so much!
That will work I think from reading this:

With water and media from an old tank:



When I need to cycle an aquarium fast, one of the two method I like is to fill half the tank with water from an already establish tank and to fill the filter with filtration media from an older tank as well. Then, I fill the other half of the tank with tap water, add a few pinch of flake food and wait 24-48h. During this period of time, I feed the tank daily to provide the bacteria with a source of ammonia to feed. I also test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on a regular basis. When you test zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and 10 or less nitrates, your aquarium is fully cycled, and ready to house your aquatic pets. This is a very fast and effective way to cycle an aquarium.


Source: http://www.aquariumslife.com/freshwa...quarium-cycle/
It would be 1-2 days and not weeks so might be great.

I might try that since my brother has a 29g fish tank and a 55g fish tank. I have a 10g for mini goldifsh but I don't think it's completely cycled. It's 0ppm ammonia but high nitrite and high nitrate like 40+ ppm. Help please!
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Approve my water change schedule? Bombalurina Betta Fish Care 11 10-28-2011 12:30 PM
Water Change Schedule. Sweeda88 Betta Chat 2 04-13-2011 09:28 PM
Water Change Schedule BettaxFishxCrazy Betta Fish Care 10 11-11-2009 09:51 PM
Water change schedule dramaqueen Betta Fish Care 10 10-26-2009 10:09 PM
my water change schedule jemma21 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 09-28-2009 03:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.