Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Question Question for College Kids!

Hello fellow college students dreading this coming August! I will be a sophomore this year at a new university and will be living on campus for the first time in an apartment type 'pod'. Fish tanks are allowed as long as it does not exceed 20 gallons. I was planning on taking my 20 gallon long divided for my 4 boys + a critter keeper for my 5th boy. However, I cleaned the tank yesterday and swore dividers were perfectly placed and woke up to my two favorites beat up in the same section. So I am upset and don't really want to deal with dividers at school. I was wondering if anyone knows if multiple individual small tanks (2.5 gal-5 gal) would be fine instead of 1-20 gallon? I obviously don't want to get written up by an RA or something, so just curious if anyone else has had experience or if I should just contact my university's housing?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #2 
deso

Contact your uni's housing staff for sure. I don't go to uni in the USA and live in my own flat, so I'm not sure what the rules are, but I'd assume it's different at every school.

By the way, good luck for this coming August!
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 
ihatefirewalls

Actual rules will depend on the school, so you should check with housing. We didn't have a limit on number of tanks, just size.

We didn't have room checks either (except fire inspections) and most students didn't care about strict adherence to rules. Some people even had hamsters in tanks even though only fish were technically allowed.

If you have roommates you can also probably get away with multiple tanks.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

I think you should contact your RA to see if you are allowed to have multiple tanks under 20 gallons, if necessary.

My school allows tanks, as long as they are 10 gallons or below. Which means, the tank sizes need to add up to 10 gallons.

Therefore I am able to have the two tanks I want. :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys! I emailed housing and the lady was really nice. She said it's fine to have multiple tanks for bettas as long as it doesn't get to the point where they get in my roommates way then she went ex. 10+ tanks. Haha I could never handle 10 tanks at college! Good to know anyway, I'll finally have a petco nearby!! ;)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote