Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #1 
1hotsummernight

suggestion/help setting up my first tank

Hello everybody, I'll be getting my betta soon, I'm new to fish and aquariums in general, but I all ready have my tank, it's a 10 gallon tank so I have a few questions
1. What's the best heater and light for this size of tank
2. Best filter that will work for a Betta (Since they are slow swimmers)
3. Best plants
4. Since a betta looks a little lonely in a 10 gallon tank buy himself can I put other fish in the tank with out him attacking them? If so what fish would work best I read some where neon Tetra will work but I also read that they nip fins some where, I also don't want to over stock my tank, I want to do everything right.
5. What else will I need I want to make double sure I'm doing everything right so I don't kill the fish.
I hope I posted this in the right spot I'm still learning my way around the site, I just really want to make sure I know what I'm doing
1hotsummernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Welcome to the site and betta fish! Starting out with a 10 gal is a great size.

1. The best heater for that tank is a 50w submersible adjustable heater. I love the Fluval 50w heater, but I think the Aqueon Pro 50w fully submersible would be best. You can lay it on its side at the bottom of the tank to provide more even heating.

The best light depends on whether or not you want live plants. If you do, I would recommend getting a single fluorescent T8 tube hood. Replace the bulb it comes with to a 6500k plant bulb if you want live plants.

2. Sponge filters are best for bettas. They are much gentler on the long fins than the normal filters that are sold for10 gallon aquariums. They will also be cheaper in the long run as you don't have to buy replacement cartridges for them.

3. There are a lot of good plants for beginners. Anubias, java fern, anarcharis, hornwort, duckweed, water sprite, and many others. With the right light and some fertilizers most plants will be in your reach, well aside from the plants that get too large for your tank.

4. If you stuff the 10 gal with plants, he won't look that lonely. Betta are naturally solitary creatures, so he will be just fine in there by himself. But if you do want to add some buddies for him, harlequin rasbora, ember tetra, and glowlight tetra are good choices. All of these fish should be in groups of more than 6 as they are schooling fish. There will be some infighting in the group, and to prevent this from extending to the betta, have more than 6 of that species of fish. Another option is small catfish like corydoras. Bronze cories are a great fish. Almost any of the Corydoras species would do.

5. To make sure you do this right, you will want to cycle your tank before you add your fish. Live plants will help you cycle with a fish-in cycle, but they won't eliminate the danger. You can read about cycling techniques here: A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
1hotsummernight

Thanks a lot, you've helped so much, I almost bought my Betta tonight, but I decided to wait until I had everything set up :)
1hotsummernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotsummernight View Post
Hello everybody, I'll be getting my betta soon, I'm new to fish and aquariums in general, but I all ready have my tank, it's a 10 gallon tank so I have a few questions
1. What's the best heater and light for this size of tank
2. Best filter that will work for a Betta (Since they are slow swimmers)
3. Best plants
4. Since a betta looks a little lonely in a 10 gallon tank buy himself can I put other fish in the tank with out him attacking them? If so what fish would work best I read some where neon Tetra will work but I also read that they nip fins some where, I also don't want to over stock my tank, I want to do everything right.
5. What else will I need I want to make double sure I'm doing everything right so I don't kill the fish.
I hope I posted this in the right spot I'm still learning my way around the site, I just really want to make sure I know what I'm doing
Hi! I can't answer most of these questions but I do have some input for some of them!

2. I use a Shark brand Internal Filter and Water Pump. I keep it on the lowest setting; there isn't much current at all; my betta can swim freely around and in front of it.

4. I thought the same thing when I put mine in a big tank but I had a lot of fun picking out gravel, plants (I use fake ones), and decorative rocks, and they fill the tank and look very nice! I think my betta certainly likes all the exploring room. But, I've heard that an African Dwarf Frog can be a good tank mate for a betta; just make sure it has it's own places to hide. I think I'd go with the tiny aquatic frog if I were to get another pet for my aquarium. But in conclusion I'd recommend just starting out with the betta and lots of decoration/plants :)

5. Do some research. I think most owners kill their fish by overfeeding them. Remember that a betta's belly is about the size of his eye.

Good luck! :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotsummernight View Post
Thanks a lot, you've helped so much, I almost bought my Betta tonight, but I decided to wait until I had everything set up :)
Don't worry! We've all been there: the impulse buy. Great self control not getting one. That will really help you on down the line. A big part of aquarium keeping is patience.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote