Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Newish betta going crazy HELP!

So I have no idea what is wrong with him. I've had him almost three weeks I figure. After I had him in quarintine for a week I introduced him into his 5 gallon home and within the day he had shredded his fins up and bloodied himself good on a plastic plant. Well here I am over 10 days later (after AQ treatments and some just fresh water days in quarintine) and I have no idea what is wrong. He is swimming around irratically. Getting "stuck" between the gravel, wall, and endoa plant. After I got him unstuck he rushed to the surface for air and then let himself fall(like stopped moving). Then he swims at the gravel again and keeps charging at the wall of the tank with his face at the bottom and the rest of himself verticle above. He just sits there and then suddenly goes irratic again. I'm not sure that he's necessarily running into thinks to ich himself on purpose per-say as much as he is just going head on into things inevitibly getting stuck. :/ I have removed him and currently have him back in his cup that I bought him in (to keep him from ramming into the tank wall). I just discovered last night that one of my ghosties was preggers so I took it out and now it is in the hospital tank so... Sunshine doesn't really have anywhere to go atm :/

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80ish
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Plants? but no.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Ghost Shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets and occasionally blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? About once every day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? In the 5 gallon about once a week but he was JUST put back in there
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I try at least 50% if not more.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? De-chlorinator, EasyBalance, and Stat Zyme.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Safe
Nitrite: untested
Nitrate:untested
pH: 6.2ish
Hardness:untested
Alkalinity: untested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not seemingly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has become completely irratic and is bashing himself against the wall of the tank (his nose) and burrying himself under or between things
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I have no idea what's wrong with him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only tearing himself up pretty badly on a plastic plant. But he is/has healed nicely (still a bit ragged at the ends but it is reattaching)
How old is your fish (approximately)? Erm... However old the come he's almost 2 inch body and I just got him almost 3 weeks ago from a LPS.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #2 
AltheaGlyndwr

Should I PM someone about this? I just went out and got a new 1 gallon hosp tank so that he doesn't have to be in his cup anymore. Is it possible that I might have a betta that just prefers to have almost nothing in his tank?

Also, I noticed something about him a couple days after I started the AQ salt treatment before. I don't remember if he had when I first got him but just in case: His belly area is kinda palish white grey. Not bloated just discolored. Or maybe it's his natural coloring and I was unobservant.

Please someone respond? :/
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #3 
Aus

Probably the first things I'd check are:

- ammonia
- nitrites
- actual temp (with thermometer)
- flahslight check for velvet

If you can see a gold dust on his body and fins under torchlight, he could have velvet. If that's the case, do say so and we'll go from there.

If not:

Your tank could be cycling? High nitrites could be irritating him.

Maybe take a water sample to your LFS for complete testing, see what's up there. Grab a thermometer while you're there.

If nothing's wrong with any of the params or temp, maybe he's trying to hide.. some silk plants may help?

ETA:
Quote:
He is swimming around irratically. Getting "stuck" between the gravel, wall, and endoa plant. After I got him unstuck he rushed to the surface for air and then let himself fall(like stopped moving). Then he swims at the gravel again and keeps charging at the wall of the tank with his face at the bottom and the rest of himself verticle above. He just sits there and then suddenly goes irratic again.
OR beginning of a swim bladder issue? Sorry, I missed the part about him being vertical.. I'm not experienced with SBD, so other opinions would be a help here.

Last edited by Aus; 07-13-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #4 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thank you~

I have already scowered him with a flashlight to check for velvet neither he nor my other two newer bettas have it. :)

I just checked my ammonia parameters and it tested out at about 0, not quite 0 but definitely not .25 (the color I got).

Taking a sample of the water in for testing is definitely something I can and will do.

The thermometer on the side of my tank was colored at a little over 80 but not quite 82 so I assume 81 degrees.

If it is swim bladder possibly I would like to hear more. Although just so that everyone who comes to help knows, now that he's in the new hosp tank he has been really calm. Swimming just fine and totally chilling... Maybe my tank is trying to cycle (although I'd tohught it already had, but when I had the otos die in there about a month ago I did a HUGE water change which could have changed that... bad me for not letting him sit away for longer!) It's just him, water, water conditioner/de-chlor, and a light. :/ Weird huh? Also he still eats ravenously as always.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 
Aus

If he's 100% okay in the hospy tank - then yep, I'd get the big tank's water checked. My guess is mini-cycle, after what you said about the otos.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote