Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #11 
Alcemistnv

I know the prices in NYC and up where I live are about the same (I used to live in Staten Island).

Veil tails range from $1 to $4, and I know half moons, crown tails, and plakats (or dragons) go for about $8 and up.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #12 
ZackyBear

I paid $35 for Portal prime and he was an HMDT. Veils are $7, Crowns are $10, Kings are $50, Females are usually a few dolars less than the males, HM are $30, DT are...I think $15?

Those are the prices around where I live ;o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #13 
Babydoll

My LFS sells females, Cts, and Vt all 3.99.. don't get to many other tail types
Babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Here in Paris, it really depends. Bettas at chain stores outside of the city proper are about 6 euros each, but woefully uncared-for. The bettas in the city's chain stores are about 10 - 15 euros each, and mostly crowntails. I've never seen females for sale in the chain stores.

At the LFS where I got my Modi, they are all halfmoons and a whopping 30 to 50 euros each (sorority females for around 15 euros), but in great condition, spoiled to the limit with live foods and 20-gallon community tanks, and sourced from local breeders instead of Southeast Asia.
Not saying local breeders are bad, but aren't the bettas from southeast Asia good?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #15 
Irishdancer

At pet stores in my area, veiltails males are around $4, and Deltas and Crowntails around $8. I know I've seen Halfmoons and Kings before, but I can't remember the price. The females usually are about half the price of the males.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #16 
magnum

I seen a HM for $70 at my local store... I wish CT's weren't so expensive in Australia! Otherwise the yellow male in the store would be mine atm. He was $15.99
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you've got the $60+ for the tank, heater, filter, plants and decor, whats $16? If you'd buy him for, say, $10, that's less than a 10% reduction of the total cost of the setup+fish..

Go get him.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #18 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Not saying local breeders are bad, but aren't the bettas from southeast Asia good?
Some are (like the ones you see on Aquabid), but usually when a person around here says that they've got their bettas from southeast Asia, they mean that they bought low-quality fish in bulk from a farm. The local breeders usually produce healthier fish that haven't had to deal with the stress and disease of being shipped halfway across the world.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #19 
magnum

Quote:
If you've got the $60+ for the tank, heater, filter, plants and decor, whats $16? If you'd buy him for, say, $10, that's less than a 10% reduction of the total cost of the setup+fish..

Go get him
I have the tank, gravel but not decor, although thats easy enough to buy... Its more the fact I would have no where to put him.....
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Some are (like the ones you see on Aquabid), but usually when a person around here says that they've got their bettas from southeast Asia, they mean that they bought low-quality fish in bulk from a farm. The local breeders usually produce healthier fish that haven't had to deal with the stress and disease of being shipped halfway across the world.
Hmm...that makes me a little suspicious... The guy at my LFS said that he gets his bettas from Thailand like that's a good thing...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote