Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #1 
JBosley

Bookshelf Aquarium Help?

Hello!
I am looking into 2 new tanks for my boys, as I really HATE my divided tank because it has to sit on my floor. Unfortunately my floor is to uneven for a tank stand

I do however, have a very tall bookcase that is securely fastened to the studs in my wall. Therefore I am looking for a tank that is big enough for me to do a planted tank (real plants yay! ) but narrow enough that it will fit on my bookcase... any ideas?

Links are loved! I am in Canada, and there is a Petsmart near me.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 
LittleWatty

There is a 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium that is PERFECT for bettas that's sold by Petco. Fairly inexpensive (at least, when I bought it it was), and it has a nearly full setup with light and ADJUSTABLE filter included. I got mine just over a month ago, and I'm loving it. Its small enough to be kept in a variety of places, but is the perfect size for one male. Two can if you wanted to do a divided. I don't know if you have a Petco, or if Petsmart has a similar tank, but here's the one I have:

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...oductname_link
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
JBosley

That would be perfect! But I am in Canada, no Petco... and so far I haven't seen anything like that at Petsmart
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #4 
artieface

Petco ships if you order online, though. I'm not sure if they do to Canada, but you never know!

I have this tank as well, with live plants, a betta, a few tetras and a ghost shrimp. The adjustable filter is great, and the tank itself has a bit of a bowfront which is a nice change of pace.
artieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #5 
Aahnay

Be careful. What is the bookcase made of? A lot of bookcase shelves cannot support the weight of the tanks. 1 gal of water = 7 pounds.

If you have some basic tools, you can make your own tank stands. There is one youtube vid that teaches you how to make a very, very .... very strong one, for a large tank.

And theres this great site you learn woodworking. I dont know if i can link it here? lol. Ok, its Ana White Free and easy DIY woodworking. There isnt a plan there for a stand, but its still a great site. Plans are free there too.

Im building some bookcases/tv stand and kitchen cabinets based on her designs with a little tweaking here and there.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #6 
vilmarisv

Ther type of shelves hold 250lbs, are very economic, come in different sizes and you can adjust the legs to level with your uneven floor.
I have carpeting and have to raise the front to even my tanks out... works perfect!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Su...Black/15104325
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #7 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Ther type of shelves hold 250lbs, are very economic, come in different sizes and you can adjust the legs to level with your uneven floor.
I have carpeting and have to raise the front to even my tanks out... works perfect!
Ah yes i love those. I almost went for them too, but i hate to dust o.O

Check out Amazon and walmart too. Perhaps stay away from the ones that have the filter attached to the hood. From what ive read they are a bear to clean, and handle. I just tried to look at the link above, haha, but they are working on the site.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-11-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #8 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Thats perfect! Thanks. I will definitely be looking into this shelf. I still hate my divided tank haha it's just TOO big for me...

Thanks guys! I will definitely head to wallmart and take a look at this shelf.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #9 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Thats perfect! Thanks. I will definitely be looking into this shelf. I still hate my divided tank haha it's just TOO big for me...

Thanks guys! I will definitely head to wallmart and take a look at this shelf.
You can add to these shelves too, make them taller, shorter or abstract. They are very versatile. I saw two different manufactures at both walmart and like at home depot and lowes.

My local walmart doesnt carry them, but walmart will ship to store for you, so thats cool.