Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Cool Looking for specific tank....

Hello all! I am wanting to switch my 4 boys over to individual tanks after having divider issues, going back to college, etc. However, I am quite picky about the type of tank I want, so I'm hoping you all might know of a type of tank that qualifies. Thanks!

-Between 2.5-5 gallons
-Not basic rectangular shape
-Longer instead of taller
-Cheap-ish
-Comes with filter and good lighting

I love a 'clean' look, especially tanks without the black trim (in that case rectangular would be great). Any other advice is super welcome!

Also only have a petsmart and walmart nearby. Will have a petco when I return to school in a month.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
deso

The Fluval Spec V (5 gallons) came out a few months back and it looks perfect for a betta. Unfortunately, I can't get you an exact price on it. It should be around 100$, but you may be able to get it for less if Petco or PetSmart is having a sale. Someone on another forum found one for 75$ at PetSmart, and I saw one online for 60$.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #3 
bananafish

If you can order online, the Mr. Aqua tanks are rimless and great. I have a 3-gallon bow front and I love it. I paid like $30 for it on marinedepot.com
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post

The Fluval Spec V (5 gallons) came out a few months back and it looks perfect for a betta. Unfortunately, I can't get you an exact price on it. It should be around 100$, but you may be able to get it for less if Petco or PetSmart is having a sale. Someone on another forum found one for 75$ at PetSmart, and I saw one online for 60$.
99$ at Petsmart! Glad you knew the name, I'm getting a few of these myself.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 
ZergyMonster

I'm so cheap compared to you guys. I buy the generic rectangular shaped tanks. I find them better to find space for because they are a set size and not irregular.

Just as a heads up, rectangular shaped tanks are the cheapest because they are easiest to produce. They also have a lot more accessories that you can find easier because of how basic they are. If you do purchase a "fancy" fish tank you will be looking to pay extra for the specialized accessories.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #6 
JBosley

I need one that can fit on my book case, that is fastened to the studs in my wall. My floors are BRUTALLY un-even, so I can't risk putting in a fish tank stand.

Thats why Im looking into the Fluval Spec V and the Fluval View (I think thats what it is called...)
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys. I'm super cheap too ZergyMonster! I was thinking like $30 tops for each tank! I've just had so many tanks/fish in the past few years, I've gotten bored with the typical rectangle tanks. But since the 2.5 gals with lids are only $15 each, I may have to go with those and just get creative with decor. But at the same time I would like them to have filters, arg frustrating! May have to end up with mini bows but I hate the look of the hood... Thanks for the help though all!

-Bananafish: can you buy hoods for those tanks?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #8 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I'm so cheap compared to you guys. I buy the generic rectangular shaped tanks. I find them better to find space for because they are a set size and not irregular.

Just as a heads up, rectangular shaped tanks are the cheapest because they are easiest to produce. They also have a lot more accessories that you can find easier because of how basic they are. If you do purchase a "fancy" fish tank you will be looking to pay extra for the specialized accessories.
I agree...I've looked at some nice tank kits but keep coming back to standard rectangular tanks because they are so much more customizable and cheaper to maintain. I also like how they don't distort your view..I had a 5 gallon hex tank and hated it because I felt like I could never see anything right .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #9 
bananafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
-Bananafish: can you buy hoods for those tanks?
I'm honestly not sure... I had a local glass shop cut a lid for it. I traced the shape of the tank and gave it to them as a template. It was ready in two days and cost me under $5. I also just ordered an LED light strip for it for about $30, but it hasn't come yet, so I can't say how awesome/not awesome that is. :)
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #10 
Shadyr

My two favorites:

Marineland Crescent 3

Name:  chicorytanklive1280.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  74.7 KB

Aqueon Betta Bow 2.5 or Minibow 2.5 (they sell the bettabow as a divided, but I know now it's not big enough for 2!)

Name:  ghosttanks1280.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  81.3 KB

(Also, ignore the not aquatic plants in that one, they have been replaced!)

Both of these are in the $30 something range.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote