Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

10 Gallon betta tank with SHRIMP!!!

Ok...so the whole 29 gallon thing won't work out just because my mom says NOOOOO!!!
So I've decided I'm going to use the 10 gallon that's sitting around outside, before somebody knocks it over and it smashes into bitty little pieces.
I would absolutely love to stock the tank with anacharis and java moss, then pop in lots and lots and lots of shrimp!
I want to keep my single male ghost shrimp, and then just add lots of other different species of shrimp, a single shrimp per species so I can still keep track of them and name them :3
Petco website's shrimp are all for reefs, or they're 5+ dollars and I can't risk wasting 5 bucks when my betta is just going to EAT them.... I mean, he will, I know it. Plus his food would be more expensive than him....
I love Bamboo shrimp, and they have them at the Petsmart near me. Could I get one? Would it eat my Ghost shrimp? My Ghostie is pretty tiny so it might....
Well...
on the Persmart website they only have Ghost Shrimp listed there and I already have one.
I can't get RCS at Petsmart because whenever I go there they are out of stock or they're all dead. I don't want to order them online...
Well, are there any shrimpies I can buy?
I'd love a Nerite snail too. Or some other kind of snail. Something.
Just 1 fish though. You make some suggestions.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #2 
Aus

I'd recommend doing some homework on the needs of each shrimp species.. some like very soft water, some like cooler water, some like very fast moving water..

The bamboo shrimp should never be sold for home aquariums.. it's almost impossible to breed in captivity, so the vast majority are harvested from their native habitat and are therefore becoming increasingly scarce there.

And because they can't be bred.. and they tend to die quickly (usually of starvation) without the proper conditions, so are in a state of constant turnover.. sooner or later they'll become endangered species. My guess is sooner.

It might be kinder to find a few varieties that share the same needs, then stock your tank with a few of each. And the you'll get teeny shrimplets! These make excellent betta food. Or you can encourage your friends to keep a few as pets - RCS are great fun to watch, several can be kept in a smallish tank as they have very low bioload, and they have pretty basic needs compared to the poor old bamboo shrimp...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I'd recommend doing some homework on the needs of each shrimp species.. some like very soft water, some like cooler water, some like very fast moving water..

The bamboo shrimp should never be sold for home aquariums.. it's almost impossible to breed in captivity, so the vast majority are harvested from their native habitat and are therefore becoming increasingly scarce there.

And because they can't be bred.. and they tend to die quickly (usually of starvation) without the proper conditions, so are in a state of constant turnover.. sooner or later they'll become endangered species. My guess is sooner.

It might be kinder to find a few varieties that share the same needs, then stock your tank with a few of each. And the you'll get teeny shrimplets! These make excellent betta food. Or you can encourage your friends to keep a few as pets - RCS are great fun to watch, several can be kept in a smallish tank as they have very low bioload, and they have pretty basic needs compared to the poor old bamboo shrimp...
Ohhhh...
I never knew that about Bamboo Shrimp! I see them all the time at pet stores, and they look insanely cool so I thought that since they always look healthy it would be OK to keep them. I guess not. Thank you so much for informing me!!!
Also I learned that Bamboo Shrimp filter feed.....so I guess that's why they die so quickly. There is surprisingly little information online about them. People should learn to take care of animals before they snatch them out of the wild :C

I guess RCS are my best bet so far
I remember when I was around 8 years old I had this insane shrimp craze....I became obsessed with RCS and I wanted them so badly I cried. I researched their care and carefully saved up my money, but my parents said no.
I guess this is my time to get them
Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #4 
Aus

RCS are just so much fun. I love watching my Zoidbergs, when Cleo isn't bent on eating them (she isn't all the time, just now and then..). Mrs. Z is fat with eggs, currently. If she doesn't make a betta snack before I can net her, she's going into the tank currently housing all my plants for the 40 gallon NPT.. and I'll have shrimplets!

You could always put an ad in the local paper or local online trading post, "WTB, shrimp, willing to pick up only, no post please" - as RCS breed like bunnies, I bet there's someone out there with a dozen or two to spare.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
RCS are just so much fun. I love watching my Zoidbergs, when Cleo isn't bent on eating them (she isn't all the time, just now and then..). Mrs. Z is fat with eggs, currently. If she doesn't make a betta snack before I can net her, she's going into the tank currently housing all my plants for the 40 gallon NPT.. and I'll have shrimplets!

You could always put an ad in the local paper or local online trading post, "WTB, shrimp, willing to pick up only, no post please" - as RCS breed like bunnies, I bet there's someone out there with a dozen or two to spare.
Cool :D
That's so cute how you talk about your fish xD

I'm definitely going to put an ad on Craigslist...people are always advertising all sorts of crazy animals, but mostly fish are very much tropical, brackish, or saltwater. I'm sure there's someone who will be willing to give some RCS to me :D
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #6 
emaleeluna

OMG! I, the idiot that I am, read several, and I mean several articles telling me that shrimp are great tankmates for bettas. So, I ordered a gorgeous red krili? shrimp online. I waited days and days for him to arrive. He arrived today, the cutest thing I've ever seen, I immediately named him 1, 2 and added him to the betta (Handsome Bob's) tank and withing 10 minutes, he was a goner! Bob only ate the legs off of him and I've never felt so bad in my life. He was so cute and I love Bob, dearly, infact have only had him 7 days and am quite obsessed, but I am so disheartened that he ate the shrimp. I think he's going to be a loner betta. Am also dealing with what I think are nipped fins, I originally had him with 2 tetras and am not sure how to go about healing the fins. Will they grow back? There is also a small food issue, I bought him and I bought BettaMin, he won't eat it, so I bought pellets and they were too big, so I bought him blood worms, that's all he'll eat now. I bought micro pellets, he eats them then spits them out and I also bought like a spongy brine shrimp. Same thing, spits them out. Is it ok to feed him only blood worms as on the label, it says that it's a supplement. HELP!! I adore him and don't want to lose him. He's in a 1.5 gallon tank, no filter, waters perfect and no heat, although I'll buy him one for winter. Any advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Emalee
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleeluna View Post
OMG! I, the idiot that I am, read several, and I mean several articles telling me that shrimp are great tankmates for bettas. So, I ordered a gorgeous red krili? shrimp online. I waited days and days for him to arrive. He arrived today, the cutest thing I've ever seen, I immediately named him 1, 2 and added him to the betta (Handsome Bob's) tank and withing 10 minutes, he was a goner! Bob only ate the legs off of him and I've never felt so bad in my life. He was so cute and I love Bob, dearly, infact have only had him 7 days and am quite obsessed, but I am so disheartened that he ate the shrimp. I think he's going to be a loner betta. Am also dealing with what I think are nipped fins, I originally had him with 2 tetras and am not sure how to go about healing the fins. Will they grow back? There is also a small food issue, I bought him and I bought BettaMin, he won't eat it, so I bought pellets and they were too big, so I bought him blood worms, that's all he'll eat now. I bought micro pellets, he eats them then spits them out and I also bought like a spongy brine shrimp. Same thing, spits them out. Is it ok to feed him only blood worms as on the label, it says that it's a supplement. HELP!! I adore him and don't want to lose him. He's in a 1.5 gallon tank, no filter, waters perfect and no heat, although I'll buy him one for winter. Any advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Emalee
How sad that your poor shrimp were eaten :(
Omelette ate only my 2nd shrimp (of course the largest one) and he stopped after that.
All I know that I can answer is that torn or nipped off fins WILL grow back. Omelette had nipped his 2-inch tail fin down to 1/2 to 1 inch nub.
Use 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher or AQ salt per gallon for the betta so it will help heal the fins a lot faster.
If your fish isn't eating, you can try crushing garlic and soaking the pellets in the juice. It is usually enticing enough to attract the fish's attention so he will eat it. Or you can just soak the pellets in water. When I first got Om, he would eat the pellets then spit them out. Eventually he would hunt them out and eat them from the gravel later so that they were in small pieces, nice and soaked and not hard.
I'm no expert at betta care, but I know ghost shrimp. So fire away at the questions about ghosties.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #8 
Aurie

I have 4 ghost shrimp in my planted cold water tank that stays 72 degrees (with white clouds) .. the fish are so docile that they probably don't even know the shrimp exist. I got them to clean up the extra food. I'm used to owning a comet in that tank and the comet ate ALL of the food and even sucked on the gravel so I gotta get used to smaller portions of food, and half the time it goes to the floor before the fish see it.. *shrug* .. Shrimp are fun, but I can't say for sure if the betta will eat em. I did a social expieriment putting Ted in my 10 gallon.. he hid for 2 hours, then came out, flared at my white clouds (who didn't give a crap) and went nose to nose with my biggest shrimp (staring contest) and then ted swam off. I have him back in his tank now.. Just wanted to see what he would do. Now that I have possible homes for my WCMM babies no need for ted to be in there and no worries if he'll eat the shrimp.

Why wouldn't they like shrimp? We feed them brine shrimp parts for a treat..
I'm sure it's no different than a Hershey chocolate bar vs some japanese chocolate bar with nuts and something else in it... it's still chocolate and to a kid it's still candy!
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #9 
Aus

I keep RCS with my fish for a few reasons - water quality barometers, algae removal, betta entertainment. Happy tank mates doesn't really come into it, as I do fully expect a few will be eaten.

They are good 'tank mates' in that they don't have a huge bioload, and can generally avoid being eaten if they're given lots of places to hide when the fish are in hunting mode.

Warning, however. Shrimp in themselves are addictive little things. I am soon to have a shrimp-dedicated tank..
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #10 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
I have 4 ghost shrimp in my planted cold water tank that stays 72 degrees (with white clouds) .. the fish are so docile that they probably don't even know the shrimp exist. I got them to clean up the extra food. I'm used to owning a comet in that tank and the comet ate ALL of the food and even sucked on the gravel so I gotta get used to smaller portions of food, and half the time it goes to the floor before the fish see it.. *shrug* .. Shrimp are fun, but I can't say for sure if the betta will eat em. I did a social expieriment putting Ted in my 10 gallon.. he hid for 2 hours, then came out, flared at my white clouds (who didn't give a crap) and went nose to nose with my biggest shrimp (staring contest) and then ted swam off. I have him back in his tank now.. Just wanted to see what he would do. Now that I have possible homes for my WCMM babies no need for ted to be in there and no worries if he'll eat the shrimp.

Why wouldn't they like shrimp? We feed them brine shrimp parts for a treat..
I'm sure it's no different than a Hershey chocolate bar vs some japanese chocolate bar with nuts and something else in it... it's still chocolate and to a kid it's still candy!
Bettas DO like shrimp, shrimp of all kinds, they're just a bit more frightening than brine shrimp. Brine shrimp toodle and swirl around without a care in the world, and the betta just pops them into his mouth without a second thought. Now, ghosties on the other hand seem to have intelligence that bettas are not used to their prey having. My ghost shrimp will stand on top of the moss ball, poking his claws through it, looking for some extra food. If my betta swims over, he will raise his front claws up, threateningly keep them open, and if the betta makes a move to attack, he will reach out a claw and pinch the poor fish's nose REALLY hard. You'd be surprised how much it hurts a betta to be pinched by a shrimp. Bettas have sensitive bodies, shrimp are surprisingly powerful compared to their size....
Your betta may feel intimidated by the snack's claws and "knowing" stare. One of my shrimp has found a home at my friend's house in a jar, the second (least defensive) shrimp was eaten by Om, and the 3rd is like a ninja, very defensive and practically invisible.
So, in conclusion, your fish is wise. Very wise. I'm sure that when Om ate Misty he had to suffer some severe bites....Oh, and some severe bloating when he finished his meal.