Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Drip systems

I'm no engineer, does anyone have any easy DIY drip systems for fry water changes?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I just use a small air line as a siphon from a larger container on top of the tank.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
PitGurl

I siphoned out about a gallon and then had a empty gallon milk jug to add water back to the tank. I took airline hose and tied a knot in it to get the flow I wanted. I then set the jug above the tank, put one end of the line in the jug and the other in the tank and then just let gravity do the rest.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I use a bamboo stick (bamboo chop stick carved to the right size) to plug the end of the tube until I have the flow I want.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

Oh Wow Thank you guys! Also, when you do water changes with the fry, Do you use airline tubing as well. I read a good way was to use the airline tubing with sponge at the end so that it doesn't suck up the fry, have any of you tried that?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 
tpocicat

I use airline tubing with a little piece of panty hose at the end.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I siphon at night - usually most fry are at the surface. And I keep the water level and the waste bowl fairly close so the suction isn't too strong.

I tie the tube to a long bamboo stick. This enables me to "drive" the siphon where I want it. And I use my finger as "control" mechanism at the outlet end.

I don't do water changes in the first week unless my fry are in a 1g tank. I often do water changes after the 2nd week, but it depends on how many fry I have - less fry = less water changes. When I do, I only siphon water out and leave what ever leftover and waste (in bigger tanks). I begin siphoning wastes when they're about 5mm - by then they can avoid suction.

I don't use sponge or air stone.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

ohh Okay. Thanks! I think I'll also use turkey baster as well. I have heard how bad it can be with over feeding.