Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 
fairy74

A little help please.

So finally my tank cabinet has arrived and put together and tomorrow i shall be setting up my 30g tank(yay).
I have searched the forum for certain answers and have read the sticky on cycling but still need to confirm a few things and i apologize if anything i ask sounds dumb.

I shall be using some small stones from a cycled tank(in a stocking by the filter)and was wondering how much amonia i need to add(ie teaspoon or more) and how often?

Also is it ok to fill the tank and then add the dechlorine once filled(The tank is far from a tap and was going to use a hose to fill)?

Once all the levels are ok can i then add live plants before the fish?

Many thanks in advance( i just want to do it all right)
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 
CallmeAustin

Yes about filling it first then de-chlorinating. I don't know about the other questions.
CallmeAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

the amount of ammonia varies.im assuming u mean using pure ammonia and adding it that way.the bet thing to do is add a little..check your water after i say an hour..and keep adding the amount u need to get to the 2-5ppm ammonia depending on how high you want to get it,i dont really think there is a calculator or rite amount of ammonia to be added.it more on what level u want it at and adding little by little until u reach it.

i agree with CallmeAustin

yes once your ammonia and nitrate etc levels are at a constant zero..then you add the fish...now i cant exactly remember which 1 it is.but either the nitrate or nitrite will be there and ammonia and the other will be at 0.i keep forgetting.but will check to verify and post back here..
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 
bahamut285

Filling up the tank the first time: Adding dechlorinator AFTER filling it up is fine. However, any future water additions require adding dechlorinator BEFORE. Also make sure you put the stocking into dechlorinated water.

If you have a testing kit, it is easiest to add 4.0ppm of ammonia into the unstocked tank with the stocking floating about.

Plants ideally should be quarantined for 14 days in regular tap water, they don't mind chlorine as much as fish do (but feel free to dechlorinate it)

Fish should be added slowly, don't buy your entire stock all at once.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

here is the ret of the info i wasnt sure about taken from the beginners guide on here

"Eventually both ammonia and nitrite will continually test at 0 ppm and you'll start seeing a reading for nitrate."

so its the nitrate that u will get a reading and nitrite and ammonia will be at 0 :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #6 
bahamut285

After adding 4.0ppm of ammonia into the tank, check the water every 3-4 hours or so. Check ammonia, nitRITE, and nitRATE. If ammonia goes to 0 but nitRATEs are still at 0, keep adding ammonia until levels are something like

Ammonia (NH3): 0ppm
NitRITE (NO2): 0ppm
NitRATE (NO3): Above 0ppm

When you get that reading, add another dose of maybe 2.0ppm ammonia to see if it is definitely cycled (it should drop fairly quickly). Then I would personally test it again with another 2.0ppm ammonia after removing the stocking.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #7 
fairy74

I have King British water tests including amonia is this ok?
Also im not familiar with the ppm dosage..how much is 4.0 ppm? sorry if this sounds silly.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 
bahamut285

As long as you are able to test for Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate, it's okay.

As for dosing 4.0ppm, it depends on how concentrated your ammonia source is. Usually the jug/bottle should have it somewhere on the side/label
Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #9 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
As long as you are able to test for Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate, it's okay.

As for dosing 4.0ppm, it depends on how concentrated your ammonia source is. Usually the jug/bottle should have it somewhere on the side/label
Its called kleen off amonia by jeyes and it does not say anything about dosage
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #10 
bahamut285

I did a rough estimate, please be careful with this stuff it's really strong. Keep it away from your nose and eyes and wear gloves.

For your tank, roughly 3-4mL of it should be PLENTY. Add it in before the stocking, wait a few minutes for it to disperse around the tank and test it so you know how much you added for the future.