Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #11 
fairy74

Many thanks for all your help.

Today is day 2 and the amonia reading is 4.0 and the stocking is hanging by the filter...one question though,is it normal for the water to be a little cloudy?
The heater is set at 27c and there is a plastic condensation hood with gaps for wires and a large one for feeding...is it normal for the condensation to be dripping from the hood above the plastic tray?

Ok that was two questions
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #12 
prodrumernate

yes it is normal for the water to be cloudy.its going to be like that for a little while but will clear up soon..

the condensation is normal.u have warm temperatures coming from the light over a body of water.its the same if u take a cup and put it outside and put something plastic over the top or have a water bottle sitting in a refrigerator and take it out..you will also loose some water as well.but dont fill it back up to the line.when its time to do a water change.then you top it off :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #13 
fairy74

So today i am on day three of my tank cycle and the amonia has gone up to 6.0 even though i have added the same amount,also there is a slight hint 0.5 of nitrite..can someone tell me what i should do please?
Sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #14 
prodrumernate

no need to apologize.its good to ask questions....i would personally do a water change.id say between 30 and 50% considering its a 30 gallon tank..but it seems u are starting to have ur ammonia spikes..nitrite is coming in.hold back on adding more ammonia until it gets lower.since you have a big tank.and i dont know how much decor and BB space you have.you could also create a moving filter.its simple,cheap and very effective.i just created 1 a few days ago using a small 16.9 ounce water bottle..a few straws cut up into about 1 inch pieces,some left over airline for like a bubbler..and a small air pump for like a 1 or 2 gallon tank..i can give more info and directions on how to make it if interested..

but it gives more surface area for the BB to grow on.i have mine sitting in a 10 gallon and will soon make 1 for another 1 of my tanks once i move and set it up.

but for now i would do the water changes until ur ammonia drops below 6...keep posting.ask any questions. :)
Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #15 
fairy74

Thanks for your advice, i do have an ario bubble maker in the tank as well as the filter..is that ok?
So should i wait till tomorrow to do a water change or do it now?

Also once the amonia goes below 6 do i start adding daily again..and if so do i reduce the amounts?

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #16 
prodrumernate

no problem at all...yes thats ok..i just had the bubbler in mine for a while.its good for the fish.especially those that breath air straight from the water unlike bettas..plus the BB grows where most oxygen water is at...i would change it now myself.i have fish in my tank.so i keep my ammonia below .50ppm..but with you doing a fishless cycle its good to keep it between 2-5...

yes once its below 6 really a 5..i would add ammonia again.you want to keep doing it until you start to get readings of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite consistently and readings of nitrate.then stop adding the ammonia and your tank is cycled.but you could also create another post of contact OFL(OldFishLady) and ask her to be positive..she knows what she is talking about.and anything she says i do.i know there are several other experts on here.but she is 1 i know of conidering i have read her post and he replies on mine..and sorry to any experts who read this and i do not credit you.please fill me in so i can also share with others who you are...

but the info i have given you i based on what i have seen on other sites and especially on here..
Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #17 
fairy74

I have just done a 30% water change and the filter is pretty powerful so with the bubble maker also the water is getting agitated nicely.

Should i now wait till tomorrow and test for amonia and then estimate how much amonia i should add to get to 3-5? and then test an hour later to see if it worked with a less amount(hope that made sense..i must have added to much amonia today).
Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #18 
prodrumernate

yes i would wait until tomorrow to test the water.i seen some1 mention about waiting a few hours and test it..but i read elsewhere that you may get a false reading if you were to test it too soon.i would wait several hours atleast before testing the water.

i would add the ammonia.wait a couple hours then test to see if you are at the 3-5.giving the ammonia time to circulate in the water.i just read the ammonia cycle post on here.from what i can understand.its more like u add a few drops..wait 24 hours then test it.if its not at that mark then add a few more drops.wait another 24 hours and test again until u know how many drops it takes to get to the 3-5ppm ammonia level..

since you have done the water change already.wait until tomorrow.test it.if its still above 5 then just wait another day.if its below 3 then add a few drops.wait about 24 hours then check the ammonia.if ur confused but what i said.let me know.i think it might be confusing by what i said.

you might be having somewhat of an ammonia spike.its not so much u added too much.but more the fact the ammonia spiked and u didnt know it..its normal had a spike the other day.i was at .25 and the next day i was at 1ppm..im a week in today..it happened to me on my 3rd or 4th day
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #19 
bahamut285

To be honest, since you're doing a fishless cycle, 6.0 ammonia isn't that bad. Just don't add anymore until it comes back down to around 1.0ppm

Nitrites showing up is a good sign. You're doing perfectly fine.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #20 
fairy74

Thanks for input..I will test tomorrow before adding amonia and let you know.
I so appreciate the help.