Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Question So I wan to breed but never have before? Advice?

OS I got a male and 7 females from a very popular spawn, and ever since, I REALLY wanted to breed. I was thinking I would do it next spring, when its not FREEZING but I'm settled in to school. I need to know what I need to buy, and also, I will probably just use a plastic storage tub, but it will be opaque so I can only see the fry from the top. Right now its just planning, but I need to start making my purchases now so its not one huge purchase later. Also, what will the fry eat untill they are large enough to start eating real food? Last, how can I sell if I do not have paypal? I was thinking of taking checks in the mail. Also, can you give me a general price range of each item? I know how to breed them (sorta, will do more research) tll me if I'm wrong on any of this?

Ok, so you choose he male and female, and you put the male into the larger tank and put the female in a clear container and float her, when she is ready to breed, shw will jump out and breed with the male. a few days later, she will lay her eggs, and the male will pick them up and put them in the bubble nest. A few more days and they hatch. When they hatch, they will pretty much stay in the nest and the dad will pick up the stray kids. For the first few days, they will eat something from the egg or something? After that, you have to feed them something, I'm nto sure what. As they get older and the males start to fight, when you start actually seeing nipped fins, you take the males out. Thenn when they are all eating good, you sell them ^_^ Correct me if I'm wrong here?

Also, how d you guys heat your fry jars? I have no special fish room. Well actually I ue the dining room, but its sorta like... connected to all the other rooms, so you cant heat it separately. I also onyl have one space hater which I use in my bedroom because it is not heated. SO yeah, also can yo tell me how to set up the tank? I really want to use a glass tank so I can watch them grow, but.. budget.. :/ How much money can I make off of them? I really only want to do this if I will make as much or more money than I put into this because I am already like.. broke. How likely is it that the dad will not be a good dad? I want to know if I should buy a second male just in case.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #2 
tpocicat

You forgot: the male wraps the female and that is when she drops the eggs hopefully after they have been fertalized. At first the fry live off of the yolk sac, then they eat any tiny microscopic critters that are in the tank. After that, you will need to provide micro worms, baby brine shrimp, mosquito larva, etc.
I heat my jars by putting them in a storage container that has some water and I heat the water using an underwater heater.
As far as getting more than you've put into it...not possible as far as I know. You will need shipping boxes, styrofoam liners for the boxes, and bags for the fish.
I breed to try to get show fish and sell the others. I enjoy it so I don't worry about making any money.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 
Kelly0727

Just thought I'd let out my 2 cents of knowledge :)

The female doesn't always jump out.. In fact you are the first that have said that, but mine has done that once so I know it happens. Anyway normally you have to slowly release her into the tank so it would be best to learn some of the signs that she is ready.

Breeding bars would be one of the most noticable signs in my opinion. Just dont confuse them with stress stripes that goes down the body..
Also they will do a wiggle dance when the male is near.. kind of like they NEED to get to the male.

When they hatch they feed off the yolk sack until free swimming. I use Micro worms, walter worms and banana worms to feed my fry since they seem a bit easier to harvest. But you also need to remember that you will have to do frequent water changes otherwise your bettas could be at risk of being stunted. Not to mention the tank would get very dirty from the food that isn't eaten.

But before you even attempt to breed bettas you need to condition them. Most people say best to condition them for 2 weeks, and there's different methods for it. So you should do research on that and see which one you think would be best for you to work with.

Reading the stickies they have here will help a LOT. Not to mention stalking the breeding logs here.. people dont really mind if you ask them questions on what they are doing :) They have helped me a lot with that as well.

For the glass tank set up I went by this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vUqYf5fThk
But something it doesn't mention is that it might be a good idea to let the water you plan to use in the spawning tank sit out for a week or so.. I learned that lesson the hard way. Also you will need a tight shutting lid. The tank it's self is only 12-13 dollars at walmart. The lid on the other hand I believe is around 26? Maybe a little more..

As for doing this for a profit.. I've never seen it done unless you are raising over 2000 fry at one time.. Even then I'm not sure if they do.. It's best to do as a hobby more than for profit.

Anyway that's all I can think of at the moment.. and I know I am still missing a lot of information.. Hopefully others will chime in and catch what I forgot.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Sorry. This gave me a laugh... "when she is ready to breed, shw will jump out and breed with the male"
I don't mean it in a bad way, I'm very glad you're preparing yourself instead of jumping into it.
The female doesn't jump out of the container, you have to release her once you detect all signs of the pair being ready.
I advice you to get a 10 galon glass tank, you don't want to miss what's going to happen and a plastic tub will not give you that pleasure.

Don't expect to make money out of breeding bettas, it's very unrealistic. The money that you will spend preparing yourself to breed bettas, grow them, and keep them will be much more than you will ever get back selling a couple of dozen fish (if you're lucky).
My initial spend, not including the fish, was over $300 and I'm still spending monthly on my fish.
Not everyone can charge $10+ for the fish, people wont buy them! Specially if you're breeders are petstore fish. When breeding petstore fish you're just competing with the petstores. Why would someone buy a fish from you for $10 when they can get the same quality for $4 and not have to spend on shipping fees?
My advise, don't get into it if you're looking to make profit... it will not happen unless you become the grand champion of the IBC and I'm sure even she is still in the negative $$ numbers if she were to calculate what she has invested vs what she has earned.
If you're serious about breeding good quality bettas then study form and understand what the ideal betta is. Then get the best fish you can get your hands on and breed them. It's not easy to choose a good pair, they are very scarce. Fish on Aquabid might look flashy but most are not quality fish... then find a good female which is probably the hardest thing to do.
Best of luck!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Well the jumping out part is what I am unsure abot, different websites give different information. Also, I wan't looking for profit, just not to lose money from it, but if I will be losing alot of money, then I might not want to. :( I will see
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 
tpocicat

OOPS! I missed that jump out of the jar thing. Never happened for me. Another thing you might want to consider...when you get the perfect pair, they don't always agree. Then you have to go out and try to find the perfect male/female again.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

You WILL be losing money.
Since you probably have a few fish in hand right now calculate how much you've spent just keeping them so far, I'm sure you'll be over $100 easy!
Then consider you will be needing to get more tanks for the fry, separate container for EACH of the growing fish different types of food (microworms, brine shrimp, etc), a way to heat all those jars... etc.
The best thing you can expenct from breeding bettas in terms of $ is to find a small lps who will either pay you for each fish or give you store credit.
The hardest part of breeding bettas is not getting a pair to spawn but raising the delicate fry and getting a good growth on them. It takes a lot of time and patience. Once you get a successful spawn you will be looking at daily water changes for the fry tank and 3-4 feedings a day. Once they are jarred, all the jars will need daily water changes unless you're using 1 gallon containers for your fry.
I'm not trying to discourage you, I want you to see the whole picture and understand what you will be getting yourself into and what to expect. There's a lot of people who get into breeding and soon decide it's not for them. If you're commited, then it's really rewarding to see your beautiful bettas produce cute fry and raise those babies to adulthood.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote