Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #1 
Neil D

Question I'm Curious

Alright, so I know many forums have the rule "you can't link to other forums". It's reasonable, because you don't want to steal users. But if the person of this particular forum is to help people, isn't one link okay?

Like, people shouldn't overreact or anything. I doubt anyone is going to immediately stop going on this forum and join the other. This happened to me on another forum. Someone asked about betta care and I said "you might find more info on this forum www.bettafish.com". And then I was told off. I understand the reasons, but I wasn't "advertising" or anything, but trying to help. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I completely understand it. I mean, for yahooanswers I post in the "reference" thingy www.bettafish.com. It's just a forum rule thing, which is basically on any forum. Like that spammer who was posting some bettatalk thing, with two user names >:( It's annoying, and may not be what people want...

Plus it can sometimes come across as "We don't have the answer, try somewhere else." which is bad for reputation It'd be like me saying "Neil, I have no idea so you should find a new forum" :p

However, I do wonder if it is okay to refer people to an actual fish forum (this one is based mainly on bettas). or a reptile forum, it should be okay :p I was refered to a guinea pig forum from here.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

We would like people to look for resources here before going off to other forums for info.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
Neil D

Yeah, I understand the reasons, I was just wondering how others thought of it. I get it though, it's not easy maintaining a forum and having someone else take it away can get frustrating.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well... if like someone needed help with goldies, and there were a goldfish forum, I'd think it'd be a good idea to say "go here"... But I think it's kinda off-handed to say "go to bettatalk" or whatever spamming forum we've had in our pm
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've seen Goldie forums referred, no prob.
Usually with "other fish" I refer people over to TFK, since not everyone knows we're linked.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I also refer people to TFK for problems with other fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #8 
Aus

I actually find it a bit off putting when there's a huge drama over posting info links to another site.

Spam is annoying ofc, but I think going ballistic over a thread linked from a different site, as you described Neil, seems very insecure and a bit kiddly to me. Forums are primarily communities.. if I didn't prefer this one, I'd not be in it (just posting link threads to it from elsewhere ;) ) and people generally settle in those communities they most enjoy - I don't see links leading to a mass exodus, unless the forum really stinks. Which this one really doesn't..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I DO find it annoying, when I'm posting info I found on another forum, and, I can't be like "here is your question answered," with the link.. feels like I'm stealing someone's info if I don't though. -__-
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 
Aahnay

ohoh... my bad.. I feel the same way too. Ive posted the info and the link, i dont remember reading that in the rules. Ill read them again.

Actually, in the other forums im in or have been in, we never had a rule like that? We do in game guilds, ask in house first, but thats different.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote