Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #11 
cjconcepcion

but yes i would love to have one at some point, and in a couple years i probably will :) if you think about it, all modern day "pets" were wild animals at some point
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #12 
registereduser

So you guys think wild animals are happy living in a home?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #13 
TheCrabbyTabby

You'd need to have an exotic animal license for one of those. IMO no one should ever be allowed such a sensitive animal as a pet. Its just heartbreaking. I mean, its just as bad as trying to keep a chimpanzee as a pet. It would not end well at all.

Also, with the new laws that are probably going to get passed, these animals would be banned as legal pets anyways.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-10-2012 at 08:26 PM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #14 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
You'd need to have an exotic animal license for one of those. IMO no one should ever be allowed such a sensitive animal as a pet. Its just heartbreaking. I mean, its just as bad as trying to keep a chimpanzee as a pet. It would not end well at all.

Also, with the new laws that are probably going to get passed, these animals would be banned as legal pets anyways.
That will be a good thing, but there will always be a black market trade.

TCT, thanks for restoring my faith in the youth of this board
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #15 
TheCrabbyTabby

Actually, I'm 28 years old.

But yeah, thanks to the ungodly amount of idiots out there releasing their nonnative "pets" into the wild like snakes, reptiles, small mammals, terrestrial snails, exotic rodents ect., the government is trying to get any and all non domestic animals banned from coming into or going out of the country. There is a wildlife crisis in many states over non native animal populations exploding out of control and harming the native wildlife. Florida alone has a growing python epidemic to bring up an example.

Now, to be fair, there are plenty of smart owners who know what they are doing, but that doesn't make up for the idiots.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-10-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've drawn up a strict line of morals after several battles with my conscience. I do indeed have a clear line of what's acceptable as a pet and what isn't. Carnivore wise, anything that can and will overpower a person is a no- dogs can indeed overpower people, but trained they will choose not to. With exotics that's not an option, you have to be able to restrain any carnivore, after that they do become a hazard. I haven't looked much into herbivores, but a lot of accidents with horses are indeed simply accidents. The largest exotic herbivore I can think of that people keep is a capybara, which I find a pretty safe animal. Elephants are an admirable animal also, though a male in musth is indeed a dangerous animal, I do have a great admiration for the mahouts who devote their lives to these animals and are true masters of their ways. Kicking musth out of the picture, elephants are extremely sweet animals who form amazing bonds with their people. However an elephant is an elephant, and the only people who should be keeping them are the mahouts of Asia. Asian elephants are actually classified as domesticated even (lines that have been kept for centuries).

For me, the difference between keeping a tiger and a fennec fox is clear when you look at how these animals live with their people.
Tiger:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw5XRfHSWfQ"]White Tiger Pacing - YouTube[/ame]
Fennec Fox:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHXZaAuafI"]Arnold the Fennec Fox Exploring his Environment - YouTube[/ame]

Like any exotic, they do have needs that need to be taken care of- I imagine those ears would never withstand a house party, for example.

As for me? One day... <3
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajHJF4Rt01o"]Adya, the domestic Serval - ???????? ?????? ??? - YouTube[/ame]
Again, not a pet to be taken lightly. Serval kittens are becoming extremely popular pets in Europe right now, they are sweet- if you don't mind a huge mess of the house. Probably the only animal that I'd put up with that for. Also, not easy to acquire, last time I checked a single kitten goes for around $10,000 on a spay/neuter agreement. However, they are smart, loving, and very "dog-like" animals. I can only dream.

Edit: Is your fish happy with you?

Last edited by Olympia; 07-10-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #17 
TheCrabbyTabby

Your links don't work. And FYI, a small carnivore can do just as much damage if not more than a large one. Just because they are smaller doesn't mean anything.

I know of cats getting people in a vein and they would bleed and bleed. Much deadlier than a big dog randomly mauling. Plus there is cat scratch fever (cellulitis) to watch out for. That's when the cells themselves become infected. That alone can kill if not treated.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They work via TFK, you guys must be on bettafish.com... Course.
So does that mean we should get rid of cats completely? They are a huge pain to deal with at work, so maybe you're right. Then at least we won't have to throw them in gas chambers to groom them.

WAIT. let's all join PETA and then NO ONE will have ANY animals! :D
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #19 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
So does that mean we should get rid of cats completely? They are a huge pain to deal with at work, so maybe you're right. Then at least we won't have to throw them in gas chambers to groom them.

Posted via Mobile Device
Why the attitude all of a sudden? Its not appreciated.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Lord no, no need to go that far!

where do you work?